Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Protecting a flopped straight

CO had seen 60% of flops and was fairly aggressive postflop. Was the check-raise the correct play or should I have gone ahead and bet out on the flop?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: 7.75 BB
Old 12-28-2004, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Protecting a flopped straight

There's nothing you can do to protect your hand. Four flushes are staying in no matter what you do. All your flop check raise did was fold hands that give you money, like Qx, Tx, Jx, etc.

Bet, hope for a flush draw to raise you, then three bet or cap if the chance comes.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:35 AM

Check raising was better than betting out in this particular situation - if you were fairly certain you'd get bet at, which you did. You have a made straight so why not? Sucks when the board pairs like that though.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:52 AM

i bet the flop. that protects you from the hands you want to be protected from (and can protect yourself from). fairly aggressive players who limp PF do not auto-bet when checked to in 5-way pots. there are too many draws here to risk letting one card slide off.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:56 AM

Anyone check call this? I may check with the intention of the raise if the bet came from early position (trapping the field), but I think check/calling here is the +EV move (in the hope of getting overcalls) since the bet came from LP.

You can also then (if you know there will be action behind you) check raise the turn when the bet size is larger.

You're not denying the odds to call a flush even with the check raise, anyone trapped in between still has to call 1:4 (the correct odds).

I also don't mind the flop-bet-out line.

What does everyone else think.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:10 PM

I bet the flop. The pot is small and we don't know where the bet is coming from. I hate to give a free card here and betting out is giving your opponents 6.5:1, this will get the many weak draws you fear to fold. Building the pot isn't bad either so you don't mind trapping opponents should CO bet.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a made straight so why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are knocking out players who are as close to drawing dead to you as possible.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:22 PM

I agree with most of this. But I think with this small pot that you must be heavily odds-on to win, pot building rather than protecting is your main objective. The flop is so coordinated that most are going to stay. Bet right out!