Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Part-time income from hosting high stakes home tourneys?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, listen carefully. Ten players will come to my house. They pay me $250+25= $275 each to enter the tournament. The prize pool is $2500 (redistributed among 1st 2nd and 3rd place). I will NOT be participating in the tournament. I charge the extra $25 for the food and the service I provide.

How is that "illegal"? Where is the money? We are friends playing for fun. What is "gambling"? My religion forbids me to gamble, how dare you! Do you have a warrant?

Picture a Chess tournament with 16 players. Where I charge $110 to enter. There will be food, drinks and game clocks and seating will be slick. $1600 will be distributed in prize money between 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Where does the $160 difference go? In the supplies. understand?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can debate whether or not the law is good/bad/just etc, but that fact of the matter is, what you propose to do is ILLEGAL, even in Canada, and no debating/whining will change that.

However, go ahead and have your tournament, and best of luck to you. If I knew everyone involved, I'd probably throw it anyways as well, just realize that you are breaking the law, however slim the chance of getting caught is.