Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Avoiding Traps

Being a trapsetter myself, I'm often on both sides of this. Typically, you raise with a big pair and someone behind you with a higher card merely calls.

You suspect they might be trapping, but you have to decide between the two evils of betting their hand for them when they are slow-playing or giving them free cards when they are behind.

This hand was an extreme example of a perfect trap made against me tonight. Where should I have slowed down? If at all?

Should I have merely called on 3rd instead of completing to allow the A to act?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.50 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (6.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (12.75 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

Total pot: (14.75 BB)

Results:
Main Pot: $85.5 | Rake: $3

Seat 1: [ As Ad Ac 3d 2d 7c Jd ] [ three of a kind, aces -- As,Ad,Ac,Jd,7c ]

Hero: [ Jh Kc Kh 9s Th Js 2s ] [ two pairs, kings and jacks -- Kc,Kh,Jh,Js,Th ]
Old 05-26-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Avoiding Traps

Complete 3rd 100% of the time here and your play is solid throughout the hand.

The raise on 6th is real scary since you are showing a very live 4 straight and seat 2 made an open pair but obviously you have to call it down. I think that seat 1 played it a little two slow actually- two bad you didnt catch one of your 8 outs to win on 7th.

Just realized how many dead [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] there are on 3rd which should get your attention - but again I think you played it well.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:48 AM

I play it the same
Old 05-26-2005, 04:06 AM

I don't see any other way you can play it. I'm not one for laying down decent hands for one more bet on the river, but I would at least consider it here. You've been betting the whole way and you've got a pretty threatening board. Either he has you beaten or he's an idiot.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:12 AM

I'm playing it the same way you did.

Mike Emery
Old 05-26-2005, 04:44 AM

Thanks for the comments, guess I'm being a bit too results oriented.

I've been having a rough night where I'm winning tons of tiny pots and losing all the meaningful ones.