Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Would you slow play this?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Wang tang ting tong I am the Japanese sandman, take eight.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: Would you slow play this?

Depends on the BB. Usually I would slowplay HU by raising the flop and checking through the turn, though, unless I was scared of the flush.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (3.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

HU in situations like this I call/call/raise. If he checks bet. Raising the turn could have cost you a bet. This is not really a classic slowplay though as we're just letting villian bet into us.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Usually I would slowplay HU by raising the flop and checking through the turn, though, unless I was scared of the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why charge him on a cheap street and check through an expensive?
Old 02-17-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you took the perfect line on this hand.

Rob
Old 02-17-2005, 02:52 PM

If you expect the typical BB to call a check/raise on the turn, then of course that'd be a strong play. I think most players with a piece of the flop, as BB may have, will call the flop if raised and consider tossing a bet out on the turn or river if the coast is clear. These same players are likely to fold the turn vs. a preflop raiser.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you expect the typical BB to call a check/raise on the turn, then of course that'd be a strong play. I think most players with a piece of the flop, as BB may have, will call the flop if raised and consider tossing a bet out on the turn or river if the coast is clear. These same players are likely to fold the turn vs. a preflop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll not have to check/raise the turn since who have position. But if you think he'll get scared of a flop raise then don't raise the flop, but raise the turn.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HU in situations like this I call/call/raise. If he checks bet. Raising the turn could have cost you a bet. This is not really a classic slowplay though as we're just letting villian bet into us.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd save the river raise when you have a read (he'll fold the turn or bet the river) and the board is less coordinated.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:05 PM

I expected the responses to read that a slowplay would have made more sense on a rainbow flop. With trips, when I see the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] flop, my kneejerk reaction is to bet/raise the flop.

Putting some thought into it, giving the cheaper card is not so bad HU, since the BB might not be betting with a flush draw on the flop, and maybe the chance of a suited holding goes down since he was in the BB?

Also BB bet the turn so I am really doubting the flush draw now. So why not go for the overcall on the river? Without a flush, only QJ, Q8, and Q6 beats us.

Anyone comment on my reasoning?
Old 02-17-2005, 06:40 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't raise on river...heads up and you have trips...if ha plays back you can just call...