Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Playing Poker With Your Friends

I would have played him as tough as I would any stranger then offered some advice on how to play better after the game.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:42 PM

Well, there you go then - no problem. It's like entertainment money. If you all had gone out to a bar, played some pool, chased after women and drank it up, he would be out that money anyway - and so would you. This way, at least one of you profits. He's got no reason to be upset with you, so you have to reason to feel bad (except that maybe you could have secured more of his money if you had raised it up on the river).
Old 12-27-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Does your friend seem pissed at you? What would you do if you were having a home game with your buds?

[/ QUOTE ]

He seemed pissed at first, or maybe crushed. Him and I were competitive throughout sports in High School. We neve saw eye-to-eye on anything and for the longest time we weren't that big on the friend connection - we were more of an acquaintance to each other.

And a home game...those don't happen because none of my friends play poker. I don't have anything in common with most of my friends anymore. I play poker, traded stocks and foreign exchange, save my money, I'm in the National Guard, been deployed 2 times, while they work, party, go clubbing, spend their money on stupid things...etc. I don't even go to the same college as any of my friends, AND most of the people I graduated high school with are already graduated from college.

It sounds like I'm a loner, but I'm not. I just choose to do things differently.

I live with 2 other guys, the one plays online poker alot, but he isn't as serious as I am (working on getting better, understanding the game better, being consistent). He thinks when he wins that he is good, but I think it's luck and variance. He goes all-in with -EV cards just to try to push people around. He also plays on BoDog and when I played on there for him, I would categorize that site as very soft.

My other roommate doesn't play poker, in fact, the only thing he does is drink alcohol, listen to music, and play the guitar.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, there you go then - no problem. It's like entertainment money. If you all had gone out to a bar, played some pool, chased after women and drank it up, he would be out that money anyway - and so would you. This way, at least one of you profits. He's got no reason to be upset with you, so you have to reason to feel bad (except that maybe you could have secured more of his money if you had raised it up on the river).

[/ QUOTE ]

His g/f also won 1000$ on a slot machine. So that makes everything better too.