Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Is this Chip Spewing?

Tried to steal this pot with a strong draw. Chip spewing?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Turn: (2.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (4.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

Final Pot: 4.25 BB
Old 10-10-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Is this Chip Spewing?

no
Old 10-10-2005, 01:05 PM

It should be obvious, but it took me a long time to learn that there's really no point in semi-bluffing a calling station. If you're up against the type of guy who will stubbornly cling to bottom pair (72o?) in this situation, then you might as well stop betting. If he's smart enough to fold, or if he's one of these guys who peels a lot of flops then folds the turn UI, then go ahead and bet like you did.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:07 PM

I didn't have a good enough read on him to know, but I figured that between my strong draw and the probability of him folding, it couldn't be too bad to take a shot at the pot.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 PM

I think this is pretty standard. You have at least 13 outs and you're you may even be good if you hit your Q's. I think this is a good HU spot to push as long as there is some chance that villain will fold.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:46 PM

* grunch *

I find myself often doing the same thing so I will be very interested in the replies.

I suspect the pot is too small to warrant a prolonged steal attempt but if you have a read on the player that makes you think you can steal more than one fifth of the time on the flop, and that he likely won't raise, why not try? On the turn, in this case, you have a value bet (implied odds are 1:3 and one of your slightly less than 17 outs gives you around a 1:2 chance to improve)if you suspect he will will just call and nearly the odds if he raises and you call (2:4 or 1:2). You should check the river unless you have a read that leads you to believe this guy will fold a fifth of the time AND that he won't raise a bet. If he didn't fold to an Ace on the turn he probably won't fold to another Ace on the river.

As usual this newbie welcomes comments/ criticism on my logic or lack thereof.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:05 PM

This looks OK to me, but I try to limit these kinds attempts to players that are more likely to lay small pairs and other such hands down.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 PM

nh.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:42 PM

I raise that preflop. Its much easier to own donks after a pfr from the blind. They always think you have AA since they only raise from the blinds with that.