Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Gigabet Hand. I just don\'t know.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i think the reason that jman posted this (and what stands out) is that villain has half his stack in the pot and is getting 4:1 for a river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

5:1, but yeah. I don't know how reasonable it is to assume that the villain will fold any hand that beats Gigabet's hand with those odds and that flop. If Gig believe's he's ahead, I prefer a check/call. Edit: Or a turn check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily think Giga thinks he is ahead here, thus the bet. He has somewhat represented a trapping hand, and if the opponent only has a marginal hand, he probably isn't risking his tourney life (he would have very few chips left), regardless of the odds he's getting. So if Giga checks, and his opponent goes all in, does Giga call? I think no.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i think the reason that jman posted this (and what stands out) is that villain has half his stack in the pot and is getting 4:1 for a river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

5:1, but yeah. I don't know how reasonable it is to assume that the villain will fold any hand that beats Gigabet's hand with those odds and that flop. If Gig believe's he's ahead, I prefer a check/call. Edit: Or a turn check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily think Giga thinks he is ahead here, thus the bet. He has somewhat represented a trapping hand, and if the opponent only has a marginal hand, he probably isn't risking his tourney life (he would have very few chips left), regardless of the odds he's getting. So if Giga checks, and his opponent goes all in, does Giga call? I think no.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that Giga called the turn bet believing he was behind?

Not disagreeing, just wondering.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM

I thought you never showed your cards.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:15 AM

Here's the only way I can understand it:

On the turn, Gigabet puts the villain on overcards. He calls and pushes the river because he believes AT folds to his push and that villain has AT+ enough that it is worthwhile to take the whole pot in those cases and sacrifice making 20k more chips the times villain pushes with a bluff.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:16 AM

So you're saying that Giga called the turn bet believing he was behind?

Not disagreeing, just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I believe he called the turn bet knowing he was moving all in on the river. Whether he thought he was behind or not is somewhat irrelevant. What matters is if he thought the villain would call with Ace high. And now that I keep thinking about it, Gigabet could very easily be ahead. Put yourself in the villain's shoes, and play the hand back. What range of hands do you call that all in bet with? As stated before, he doesnt have a pair, not AK or AQ most likely. No draw hit, and his bets on the flop/turn didn't scare Giga, plus Giga reraised him preflop. Giga has shown subtle strength in his betting pattern.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, Gigabet puts the villain on overcards. He calls and pushes the river because he believes AT folds to his push and that villain has AT+ enough that it is worthwhile to take the whole pot in those cases and sacrifice making 20k more chips the times villain pushes with a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without knowing any table dynamics or reads that gig has on villian and gigs read on villians read on gig, I'd probably think that the large turn overbet made him put him on overs. But Gigabet probably figured that it would be much easier to move him off of his hand on the river with no cards to come, especially if a scare card came.

I'd be interested in the action if an ace fell on the river.