Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Default 77 in CO at 1/2 NL (Bad Play?)

My first post so may not be proper format, sorry.
PLEASE TELL ME IF I PLAYED THIS WRONG AND HOW YOU WOULD PLAY THE HAND. THANKS.
At a 9 handed 1/2NL table, my 4th hand of session so not familiar with table, however from the 4 hands i saw lots limped to see the flop.

BUTTON - $150
SB - $75
BB - $140
UTG - $175
EP - $230
MP1 - $160
MP2 - $190
LP - $200
CO - (hero) - $150 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB and BB post $1 and $2 respectively. UTG folds, EP limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, LP folds, CO(hero) limps, button folds, SB calls, BB checks.
POT SIZE: $12
Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

ACTION: EP bets $7, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, HERO RAISES to $14, SB folds, BB folds, EP RERAISES to $25, HERO CALLS $11 more.

TURN BOARD: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

ACTION: EP bet $20, HERO raises $20, EP reraises $20, HERO goes all in, ~$80 more, EP calls.

RIVER BOARD: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

RESULTS BELOW (DO NOT READ UNTIL AFTER YOU POST YOUR OPINION PLEASE):

<font color="white"> </font> HERO shows 777
EP shows 999
EP wins pot with 999
Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: 77 in CO at 1/2 NL (Bad Play?)

Wow. Its a min raise party! I see where you might make an argument to min raise the flop. But the turn? I think you have to put him on a set when he raises the turn. You decide if its 22 or 99. I push the turn after opens with the bet.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:53 PM

i would have just folded to the first flop bet cause he obviously has 99.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:56 PM

OK, 1 more question. Do you think i should preflop raise with 77 in the CO given there was 3 limps before me? Also tell me if you could avoid going broke in this situtation given the texure of the flop?? Im curious as to how others would play this hand on the turn...cautiously or aggressive?
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 PM

I hope you are joking.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would have just folded to the first flop bet cause he obviously has 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

?? Obviously you are a good reader, better then most. ??
Old 10-26-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also tell me if you could avoid going broke in this situtation given the texure of the flop??

[/ QUOTE ]

I would back up my 777 with my 75 bb here. Any day. I want the money to go in.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think i should preflop raise with 77 in the CO given there was 3 limps before me?

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise there, but limp is OK to.

[ QUOTE ]
Also tell me if you could avoid going broke in this situtation given the texure of the flop??

[/ QUOTE ]
No, you WANT everything in the middle 99% of the time there.

If you're not prepared to lose one (or a little more) buy-in on a set with that flop you must go down in the stakes.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:05 PM

Was this hand live? How good are the players?

I never ever fold this hand. At these levels villain has 97, bottom set, or an overpair more often than 99. Nothing you can do . . . I would have gone all-in much sooner than you did.

I personally would have raised from CO with 77. If your raise gets it heads-up, then you can frequently win the pot without improving, and your hand is well disguised when you hit your set. However, I doubt you want to put in a big enough raise to fold 99, so raising would not have saved anything here.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, 1 more question. Do you think i should preflop raise with 77 in the CO given there was 3 limps before me? Also tell me if you could avoid going broke in this situtation given the texure of the flop?? Im curious as to how others would play this hand on the turn...cautiously or aggressive?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we all agree there was no way you could get off the hand. Sorry you lost your stack but the same thing would have happened to all of us. There is no possible way you can play this cautious.