Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2003, 05:15 AM

Default attending an unknown homegame .....what should i expect?

I meet a guy the other day who works at the local video store he plays poker. we talked for awhile he seems new and
excited about poker like myself. He seems to have played a little longer than I have.he told me about a local game that he and some friends host:2-5 with about a $100 buy in. He's a college student around 20. He also knew about a $10-$20 backroom game.. He seemed to be able to talk shop, though i don't think he reads or studies hold'em.
What can i expect?
I'm still new to playing, is this a regular part of getting into the poker community?
I'm pretty street wise and don't feel threatened at all and plan to establish all rules and questions before attending. If anyone thinks this sounds unusual or fishy please let me know . Thanks orbie
Old 03-17-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: attending an unknown homegame .....what should i expect?

If you can check it out (or him) beforehand.... otherwise, be careful, take a shot, PAY ATTENTION TO THE VIBES you get at the first game.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:40 AM

Default Orbie: Be Careful

A college student, "able to talk shop, though i don't think he reads or studies hold'em."

This guy probably studies poker and thinks of it as just another academic discipline. That is not to say that he can turn theory into successful practice.

If the game is at someone's home it should be on the up and up. However, I think all players should acquaint themselves with the practices that cheats use. Get hold of a copy of Scarne On Cards by John Scarne, the famous exposer of cheating methods at cards. All this is in the interests of self defense.

As for the game; most players will play too many starting hands and stay with them for too long. It may well be hard to run a bluff.

You have been warned.

Good Luck.

Old 03-20-2003, 08:34 PM

good luck. i would watch a few rounds to try to get a feel for the game.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:06 AM

Orbie bring to the game what I always bring: Two buy-ins and the biggest gun! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You should have no trouble.

Old 03-22-2003, 05:11 PM

Orbie--
What did you find at this game? Also, if I remember you are in the Denver area. If the host would be ok with it, I'd be interested in checking this game out. Let me know. Thanks