Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2005, 05:24 PM

Default $5/$10 NL - UB - Short-handed - Flopped Set 4 Comments

6 players. Hero is the BB. Villain is UTG+1. Villain seemed fairly tight but only played a couple orbits with him at this point.

(No Limit Hold'em) Powered by UltimateBet

Villain is UTG+1 with <font color="green"> $1483.75 </font> .
Hero is the BB with <font color="green"> $1865.75 </font> .

small blind posts $5.
Hero posts the big blind of $10.

Hero: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Pre-flop:

Villain raises to $35. Hero calls.

Flop: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> ($75) </font>

Hero checks. Villain bets $40. Hero raises to $120. Villain calls.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> ($315) </font>

Hero bets $250. Villain calls. <font color="red"> &lt;-- Comments? </font>

River: 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> ($815) </font>

Hero bets $425. Villain goes all-in for $1078.75. <font color="red"> &lt;-- Comments? </font>
Old 07-08-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Re: $5/$10 NL - UB - Short-handed - Flopped Set 4 Comments

I don't play at this high stakes and am trying to adapt somewhat to higher stakes but I'll take a stab at this. If your read(although after only a few hands) is that of a tight player, I think we can safely assume he is folding an overpair on the turn UI to your bet, since you're pretty much announcing you have the 7. After the smooth call, he's either not so tight or has TT. You certainly can't fold the river getting almost 4 to 1 on your call, although I would certainly feel sick doing so, since any overpair mucks to your river bet(unless he's a maniac, and obviously not tight). If your read was based over a larger sample and you could peg the player for being tight, I would lean towards check/calling a reasonable bet a little over check/folding that river, but here that read is kind of worthless and I call.

Does anyone think waiting for the turn to C/R is a better line?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: $5/$10 NL - UB - Short-handed - Flopped Set 4 Comments

Ouch. Preflop i'm immediately putting him as a rock on roughly 99-JJ ~QQ or AK-AJs. Given the hand as played, his just calling the turn screams 99-JJ because i'd expect a decent rock to fold an overpair with no draw when you've obviously got the seven. I'd consider checking the river and reevaluating and possibly folding. A paired board set with no kicker OOP isn't a hand to get all your money in on. As played, your balls cringe when he raises allin on the river but i'm calling that every time for the odds i'm getting.