Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Best Strategy for 25/50c NL / 6 max?

Recently I've been playing the 25/50c NL 6 Max tables on Party and have been doing farily well. I've noticed a certain player who is usually on everyday multitabling the 25/50c NL 6 Max tables and almost always seems to be up a good amount. I've played in the same room as him before and his strategy seems a little different to me and I was wondering if you guys could tell me if this is actually a profitable strategy or not. The strange thing is that I don't think I've ever seen him raise a single pot. If he is going to play a pot he limps and hopes to make a big hand and cash out on the many fishes eager to get their money in with not much of a hand. In other words he doesn't seem to want to commit to anything preflop and is looking to just play post flop. The thing is that I dont think he is raising hands like AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, and possibly even high PP. I was just wondering if this is actually a good strategy at this level of play? Like I said he always seems to be up every day that I see him playing and I'd just like to get some opinions on this style of play and what you think is the optimal strategy for this level of play. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Best Strategy for 25/50c NL / 6 max?

His/her play may be profitable at these lower levels at loose Party games, but he will NEVER be able to win at higher levels if he doean't raise with high pocket pairs and A-K... And I would imagine he couldn't win with this strategy at UB or pokerstars at the .10/.25 or above... His/her stragey might also work at Bodog as well (9 handed)... So to answer your question, yes his strategy could work at loose party games (but even party is getting tighter and will continue to do so in the future as poker's fad fades a bit and less total fish join.. There will always be new fish, but just not as many)... Bottom line, he will have to change a bit if he ever wants to move up...
Old 08-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2005, 11:09 PM

why the hell would a guy like this play 6 max and not a full table?

so bizzare

I think could beat full ring this way for a small profit but no way I'd attempt this shorthanded
Old 08-21-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

so bizzare

I think could beat full ring this way for a small profit but no way I'd attempt this shorthanded

[/ QUOTE ]
-

Who knows, maybe he was a losing player (which most are) and he tried this method out and he is happy with his profits... So many players think they can play and actually understand winning poker fundamentals, but few can implement winning play (tilt, ego, etc.).. So this guy has a system that works for him.. He is among the elite who actually win... But as I said before, if he ever wants to move up he will have to change... Perhaps he is content winning at these low levels. I know I am not. I want to play and win at high levels...
Old 08-21-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

so bizzare

[/ QUOTE ]

He can probably successfully limp more often at alot of shorthanded tables, as long as its fairly passive. Obviously, he's giving away value with his real big hands, but I dont see any reason why someone couldnt win in the $50 games doing this.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:32 PM

Ha for some reason i thought this was on the high stakes forumn and he was doing this at 25/50 NL i was shocked and no it cant work at higher limits but at low limits it will work more often than not.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:41 PM

In 25NL preflop hardly matters. If you are decent postflop you can win without raising at all or minraising every pot (every , for VPIP 100%). Of course its not optimal strategy but the guy can be huge winner anyway.

Best wishes
Old 08-21-2005, 02:00 PM

His play is decent against the various loose passive types you find at party. They won't raise a lot, and will pay him off. However, his play is terrible against any LAG. If he was at my table, I'd be raising 15% of my hands, and then not paying him off postflop if he does flop something big. The ability to switch gears is what really defines a NL player who is capable of winning big, IMO.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In 25NL preflop hardly matters. If you are decent postflop you can win without raising at all or minraising every pot (every , for VPIP 100%). Of course its not optimal strategy but the guy can be huge winner anyway.

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

Duuuuuuuuuude, this is $50 NL. Plz.