Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 03:23 PM

Default TT hand in a ub 20+2 this afternoon, put me under the microscope

I've really been working on my mtt game a lot lately. I tend to do well early, and late due to my experience playing nl ring and sngs, but I tend to donk up in the middle stages quite a bit.

This one occured with about 100/150 left. Average stack is about 2600, top 20 pay. UTG is a total donk who may be overly tricky (i.e. is the type of guy who would limp reraise AJ utg) and I have a history with him. I took a big pot from him when he bets into my JJ with AK on the turn, and I push. He folded and showed, and told me he didnt believe me. BB has been solid and relatively patient for the most part. My image has been relatively tight aggressive. I've played about 6 hands in the 3 orbits at this table.

Blinds 30/60

relative stacks:
BB: 3500
UTG: 2700
Hero (EP 2): 2600

Hero is dealt TT

UTG limps, I raise to 180 with the intent of folding to a big reraise from him. BB reraises to about 380. UTG folds, I call.

FLop (t900) 245 rainbow

Bb bets 750, I push.

I would love comments on all streets. Please take into consideration my stack relative to where we are at in the tournament as I feel that I may be a little impatient. Also, how do you play differently.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: TT hand in a ub 20+2 this afternoon, put me under the microscope

I think you are going to run into a bigger pair a lot of the time with that smallish out of position re-raise preflop (indicating a very strong hand). Absent a specific read I am probably just tossing this after I miss my set.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:37 PM

I'm not sure I like your raise on a couple of levels. First, you either need to raise more (you're giving the limper great odds to come along, and the flop will be ugly in too many cases), or limp along. And even if you raise the standard amoutn (3BB + 1BB per limper = 120), the table is probably loose enough that this will get called in one or more places. You don't want that. I vote for the limp.

On the flop - yep.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:39 PM

Dunno why you would plan to fold to a reraise from UTG if he's donkish enough to do it with stuff like AJo.
I probably make it 250-300 preflop.

If BB has been playing tight and solid, you are almost certainly beaten when he reraises and bets big on the flop.
Me, though, I usually get it in in these spots anyway, and kick myself for not having the discipline to lay it down.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you are going to run into a bigger pair a lot of the time with that smallish out of position re-raise preflop (indicating a very strong hand). Absent a specific read I am probably just tossing this after I miss my set.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i was thinking jj+, ak for bb. in retrospect it is a relatively easy fold imo, its just that i sometimes get a little impatient with 10-15 bb, and as a result have been busting quite a bit around this time of the tourney. in short, i need to become more patient in multis.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dunno why you would plan to fold to a reraise from UTG if he's donkish enough to do it with stuff like AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

because i am a coinflip at best if he reraises me. i want to get away from it relatively cheaply if this does happen.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If BB has been playing tight and solid, you are almost certainly beaten when he reraises and bets big on the flop.
Me, though, I usually get it in in these spots anyway, and kick myself for not having the discipline to lay it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto . . . I put the BB on AK, KK, QQ and hope for AK and get it all in on the flop too - and usually lose to the KK or QQ I thought he had. . . ugh
Old 10-13-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because i am a coinflip at best if he reraises me. i want to get away from it relatively cheaply if this does happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't try to outguess myself in those spots. If he reraised me and I had that read I'd shove. But then, I'm OK with pushing a 55-45 edge even fairly early.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:03 PM

Any idea about the BB? If he's reasonable, that almost has to be a bigger pair. *Maybe* AK, but I wouldn't count on it...
Old 10-13-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But then, I'm OK with pushing a 55-45 edge even fairly early.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is something that i am relatively unsure about as i am still devoloping a solid feel for mtts.