Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 02:28 PM

Default How often do you raise when you have big stack?

I'm playing in a tournament where I now have 11k when blinds are 75/150. Any suggestions on how to play the big stack? How much would you raise, blind steal? Should I just sit back and wait for premium hands? Average stack is 2300. There is 87 left so, I'm not anywhere near the bubble.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: How often do you raise when you have big stack?

What do you think of raising every hand in late MP or LP, when it's folded to you, until you get played back at?
Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 PM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1
Old 10-24-2005, 02:38 PM

Need more info . . .
- Are the blinds behind you aggressive defenders? If so, be more careful stealing from them with nothing.
- Are the people behind you short-stacked? If so, they are going all-in soon and that could ruin your stealing plans if you have crap cards.
- Are the stacks behind you large? If so, they are more tempted to call/reraise you just to resteal from you.

But, as long as they let you - yep, stay aggressive and raise every chance you get.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:39 PM

Thats a pretty general question. I raise when I sense I will take down the blinds by raising cuz I think they will let me, or when I have a good hand. Sometimes I raise with pure trash, sometimes I raise with premium hands. During the bubble, it's very easy to steal with a variety of hands, but even before the bubble, sometimes you can tell who will let you take their blinds without a fight, and who will reraise with any halfway decent hand to test you. You just got to have good reads is all.

There are some excellent posts in the anthology post on playing the big stack from players who are much better than I, you should check it out.