Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth\'s AK hand

Magriel made it 6600 to go, Phil pushed and they said it was 6700, and I assume that meant 6700 MORE. So at that point he's getting more than 3-1 with the 7s so it's not bad. I don't like his massive re-raise with 7s in the first place though. I think Phil made it 1200 to go or something and Magriel made it 6600.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Magriel made it 6600 to go, Phil pushed and they said it was 6700, and I assume that meant 6700 MORE. So at that point he's getting more than 3-1 with the 7s so it's not bad. I don't like his massive re-raise with 7s in the first place though. I think Phil made it 1200 to go or something and Magriel made it 6600.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh the beauty of X-22. In almost all cases, he bets in increments of 22. So in this case he could have made it 2200, 4400, 6600, etc. While 4400 probably would have been a more normal raise, 6600 won't necessarily be taken as some huge overbet "I'm re-stealing from Phil" kind of bet. It's Magriel being Magriel. And it's a clear call when it's folded back to him because of the pot odds he was getting.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

triple quack quack
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 PM

Magriel and I were on the same table twice at this year's WSOP. He definitely uses his (unusual) image to his advantage. He absolutely knows that people think he's nuts and exploits that like you've never seen. He's absolutely brilliant and definitely has skills.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no big thoughts on the hand being discussed except I think it was awful for the guy to show his aces, he should have lied and said it was jacks or tens, that'll get phil's heart pumping

[/ QUOTE ]

. . . or just show one A
Old 10-19-2005, 01:27 PM

This seems like a routine preflop fold to me.

-Jason
Old 10-19-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What I can't remember is, did phil raise, then Magriel raise, then phil push? or was Magriel first in?

I guess if Magriel was first, getting 3 to 1 it's a call for him. I'd want to know Magriel's stack tho.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a routine preflop fold to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't tell if you are kidding or not.

I'm not sure how deep they are, but with the guy essentially showing you his hand how deep do you need to be to make this call?

Especially if you can almost count on a free turn card.

If you each have 25K behind are you still folding?

If you know he has AA and will go to the felt, how much do you need behind to make this call?

Is this the same guy who said (I'm paraphrasing) "early in a tourney I take all the implied odds every dishes out and go for blood"

I realize that with him having AA you will need to flop huge, but if you can *almost* count on a free turn, getting almost 2:1 to call.....

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 10-19-2005, 01:57 PM

Wasn't that about what Phill had left?
Old 10-19-2005, 01:59 PM

Hellmuth raised, Magriel re-raised, folded to Hellmuth who pushed. Magriel had excellent odds and called. Not sure how many chips he had there but it didn't seem like losing was going to hurt him too much - he had a big stack, just not sure the denominations.