Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Two sample hands

So I got to thinking a bit more about this and recalled a couple B&M hands where I slowed down to suspected oversets; these are basically the two extremes when it comes to how early or how late I ended up slowing down.

Hand 1: Villain is button, I've met him a few times and I know he's at least a halfway decent player, and he's seen me play enough to respect my play. I am the BB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

Preflop: Three limps, Villain limps, SB completes, Hero checks. (6 SB)

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets, 1 call, Villain raises, Hero 3-bets, caller folds, Villain caps, Hero calls. (15 SB)

Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero 3-bets, Villain caps, Hero calls.

River: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero calls.

Reasoning: My estimation of Villain as a "decent" player made me very loathe to put him on KK or JJ because he limped behind preflop. He's not stupid enough to have 22 or 88 here. I basically had him squarely on KJ until the river at which point I finally said "If all he has is two pair, shouldn't he be at least a bit afraid of the fact that you are putting in all bets?" I also realized a cap means I'm probably dead but I'm not capable of folding to it. So I call. Since I already mentioned this in my other post in this thread, he did indeed have JJ.

Hand 2: 2-10 spread limit with $1-$2 blinds, technically not a limit game but the two play similarly on later rounds.

Hero is again BB with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Villain is the button, and I've known him for about 10 minutes now. UTG is a known LAG, everyone else is relatively loose-passive.

UTG limps, 3 limps, Villain raises to $8, SB calls, Hero calls, all limpers call. (Pot: $56)

Flop: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets $5, Hero calls, UTG raises to $15, 3 folds, Villain raises to $25, SB folds, Hero caps at $35, UTG calls (all-in for $35 exactly), Villain calls. (Pot: $166)

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $10, Villain raises to $20, Hero calls.

River: (something that's not a 6 or a piece of the board)

Hero checks, Villain bets $10, Hero calls.

Reasoning: As I said in my other post, a flop call/reraise is a strong move. I was willing to go for it here anyway because of the lack of draws on the board, the fact that bets don't double on the turn in spread and the fact that I had at least two players (a maniac and a PFR) who were likely to raise behind me. So I essentially announce my hand on the flop and this guy raises me on the turn anyway? Coupled with the smallish preflop raise (given the size of the pot) I decided I was up against KK more than half the time (I would think even AA has to be a little scared of a limp/cap) so there was now no reason to value bet unless I hit quads.