Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:14 PM

Default TPTK in the blind

$5/$10 NL. Hero ($1100) Villain ($1000) no read on villain.
3 limpers and I check in the BB with AQ.

Pot is $40. The flop is Q44 with a flush draw. I bet $40 and villain min raises to $80. Folded back to me. Whats my play?

The options I saw were
1) Reraise to about $240 and fold to a push. He cant push without a 4 because he has to be afraid that I have one in the blind. Then again, I would fold off KQ with this plan.
2) Call and check raise the turn assuming the flush doesnt hit. Villian is in EP so I dont think he has a flush draw, but its possible. He plays alot of suited cards but Ive havent seen him min raise with a draw in the few hands I have with him. I think he has KQ.

3) Call and lead the turn if the flush hits.

What do you think?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: TPTK in the blind

I call and lead the turn about 1/2 to 2/3 the pot regardless of what comes off. Make him pay for his worse queen the whole way. He's not going to put you on AQ b/c you didn't raise the limpers pf (great play from the blinds by the way). I would expect him to have qj or q10 and he is seeing where he is at without putting in too much in case you have a 4. You have to keep control of this hand however by leading the turn, otherwise you will leave yourself tough decisions later in the hand with a most likely superior hand. If a diamond comes off and he raises your turn bet then you may have to let it go, but checking to him in this situation tells you nothing as he will bet again regardless. If no more diamonds I lead the river again and expect him to pay you off the whole way, assuming no raises involved.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:27 PM

call the flop min-raise and the turn action is dependant upon what falls. good idea to keep the pot small.

your flop call may scare him enough that you may have a 4 to check behind the turn with KQ with plans to keep the pot small and then simply 'pick you off' and call your bet on the end with KQ.

did you have the A of the flushing suit?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
call the flop min-raise and the turn action is dependant upon what falls. good idea to keep the pot small.

your flop call may scare him enough that you may have a 4 to check behind the turn with KQ with plans to keep the pot small and then simply 'pick you off' and call your bet on the end with KQ.

did you have the A of the flushing suit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I did
Old 06-01-2005, 01:35 PM

After the min raise, if you bet/raise at all in this hand, EP might very well put you on trip 4's or better (especially if the flush hits).

Two questions:

(1) How confidently would you say he does not have a 4 here? Does this guy do enough limping to have 45s 34s, ect..?

(2) How agressive post flop is this player? If you call the flop raise and a blank comes on the turn, will he check through if checked to him or bet?

I think those 2 questions are relevant to your actions. If you don't think he could possibly have a 4, then your really trying to extract money here, but from someone who doesn't have all that strong a hand, probably (since a lot of players are cautious when playing a hand against the BB in an unraised pot). If you think he'll keep on firing with KQ, I might call the flop, call a turn bet and bet 1/2 the pot on the river.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:42 PM

I mentioned that I have no read on him other than Ive seen him play J8s and other junk suited hands a few times.

I saw him put s short stack all in with a flush draw earlier with 43s.