Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Zen-like revelation (just wanted to share)

Okay. I had been worried about something I had noticed while on a downswing: it would often seem like I was winning a session, only I would find myself down at the end of it. I found this expereince even more disheaartening during the downswing (which reached 190 bbs) than the actually downswing itself. There seemed to be the illusions of my winning where I was not.

I posted a question about this on the psychology forum. I got into a discussion with bison about this. His response was really good (as usual) -- here is a link

I didn't actually understand what he was saying until tonite. I decided it was time to bust some ass, so I got some Abitas (great Louisiana microbrew) and listened to Grade (great, now defunct handcore punk band, and nice guys to boot), and while I was playing .5/1 Party it hit me: it's not about the sessions. As I was sitting there drunk, listening to a kick ass band, I fully grasped something I have always understood cognitively, but had never fully grapsed until tonite. It is really all one big session. Playing successful poker is all about constantly putting yourself in +EV sisuation. We have all read this in Sklansky's et al's works, but I never really got it until tonite.

Seeming to win when I lost was not the illusion, the concept of a loosing session was the illusion. "Sessions" are meaningless concepts, a social construction that we created. Putting yourself in positions that are +EV is what matters.

Much thanks to Abita beer, the ex-members of Grade, and bisonbison for helping me realize this.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Zen-like revelation (just wanted to share)

That's a good reminder for all of us. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...and while I was playing .5/1 Party it hit me: it's not about the sessions. As I was sitting there drunk...

...Playing successful poker is all about constantly putting yourself in +EV sisuation...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll let others elaborate.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 01:33 AM

That's a pleasing thought, assuming of course that you're
consistently making EV+ decisions and not negative ones.
After a 190 BB swing, how can you be so sure?

Is there no room for doubt? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 01:53 AM

Epiphanies never hurry, but still always manage to arrive at exactly the right time.

Understanding something in theory is much different from making it part of you. Hope the new mindset settles in comfortably. And that you remember this day. With fondess.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:39 AM

Great thread. Like Greg I am going through my first major downswing. I think part of the frustration comes not so much from losing but from playing well and losing to players who shouldn't be winning. The players who believe ATWD & ATSWD.

My first job out of college was with an insurance agency. The guy who owned the agency used to tell us repeatedly regarding business, "it's not a sprint, it's a marathon." I try to apply that same philosophy to poker. Some times it works and some times I just have to get up and walk away for awhile.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:49 AM

There is no spoon..

no I'm kidding, thats an encouraging post and having came off my first (very minor and typical) downswing that's an enlightening way of viewing the whole process I hadn't considered
Old 10-29-2004, 03:16 AM

No one thinks sitting there drunk playing poker is -EV? Excellent revelation however!
Old 10-29-2004, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Abitas (great Louisiana microbrew)

[/ QUOTE ]

I can attest to this. I was introduced to Abita (several times) during my weekend in NO a couple of weeks ago. It is excellent. And that means something, coming from someone in the home of Red Stripe, itself an excellent lager.

As for Zen, I was up 160BB for the month this morning, now I'm up 120. So I'm having the chance to put Greg's theories into practice. Although I am far from convinced I'm making all the right EV plays.

Hope it turns around soon for both of us Greg.

Peter
Old 10-29-2004, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one thinks sitting there drunk playing poker is -EV? Excellent revelation however!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, I actually left that in my post for someone to jump on. A few did. After getting ridiculously bad beats like AA cracked by someone cold calling Q6o, hitting a runner-runner inside stright draw (board: 3 7 J 4 5), I found myself playing scared. When this type of thing happens you start to play suboptimally b/c you expect to lose. Inhibitions go away with alchohol, which allowed me to play with proper aggression. This is a really dumb justification, I know. In all honesty, I did accidentally hit call a few times when i should have folded, like when I once cold called AXs preflop. This was not a huge mistake in itself, but is not something I shold be doing obviously.

Also, I am a happy drunk. I get giggly, and I wanted to just have fun playing poker again. There, that is the real reason.

The crazy thing is, I usually win when I am drunk. (Small sample size I know.) Also, I never play stink-faced drunk, only tipsy drunk. A few beers, not a whole six. Plus, Abita rocks dude! And finally, if it weren't for the beer I would currently be without the revelation. At least not at the moment -- definately plus EV to my game as far as mentality goes.

So there are my lame ass excuses. Flame away!

(And fellow drunkards, feel free to defend me here!)