Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 08:29 PM

Default 2/4 AA vs coldcaller

EDIT: Villain is a decent NL player. His stack is slightly smaller than mine.

Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The board folds around to Hero who raises to $12. SB folds, BB calls.

Flop comes

T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $15 into a $26 pot, BB calls

Turn comes

8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Hero bets $30 into a $56 pot, BB calls

River comes

3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $50 into a $116 pot, BB pushes for about $400 more, and hero has him covered.

Easy fold?
Old 07-16-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: 2/4 AA vs coldcaller

I don't think I could fold this. If you have no read, I think you have to call. Even with a read, I'd probably call most of the time. You have a monster.

BTW - I would have bet at least the pot on all 3 streets here as he can call w/ many hands worse than yours.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:12 PM

this is tough but i think u can fold. i've found these huge overbets on a tripped board to usually be quads. i think you should check call turn, check/raise all in river, for what's it worth.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:14 AM

I'd call almost 100% of the time for better or worse (exceptions being someone I know has the nuts, someone I've played with ALOT and is a rock) - however this the easiest line for a player with the 10, but also a donk with the 8 or another overpair. Worth the call at my stakes (.10/.25 - .50/1.00) - definitely.. these stakes? not sure.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:29 AM

I fold, if I was in his shoes I would assume that you either have a big pair or nothing, he has no reason to push with a medium to big pocket pair himself since he would only get called by a better hand, so this looks like a ten to me.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:58 AM

I think he's betting that quads doesnt bet this out, and that any other hand has a hard time calling on the river. I call here and expect to make money against good players.

Bingo
Old 07-17-2005, 12:38 PM

I'd call, a lot of hands he could have JJ/88/99 make sense here and with such a large bet on the river it doesn't seem like he wants action. On top of that the board doesn't look very threatening to him as many people would lead out the betting if they did preflop on this board.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd call, a lot of hands he could have JJ/88/99 make sense here and with such a large bet on the river it doesn't seem like he wants action

[/ QUOTE ]

...or it is someone with the case Ten who puts hero squarely on a large PP that will be tough to lay down. I probably drop this, as this is more indicative of a Ten than a lower PP.

Wouldn't a lower PP have raised somewhere else along the line to see if hero has AA or if he has a missed AK or even QQ? I would think so.

-T
Old 07-17-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he's betting that quads doesnt bet this out, and that any other hand has a hard time calling on the river. I call here and expect to make money against good players.

This is giving the guy an awful lot of credit. It takes some serious balls to think, "Gee, this guy obviously has an overpair and wont dare call all-in w/tens full". Plus, he called the flop and turn, so he's obviously got a pair or quads, and as was said before the pair probably isnt gonna wait til the river to raise with some huge move, but would most likely raise earlier to see where he's at and protect his hand if its good. Your hand is huge, but this look exactly like a ten. If its a move its a very convincing one.

Bingo

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-17-2005, 01:34 PM

Easiest fold ever.

I have made this same move twice after someone stuck it to me. Flop was A-10-10, Turn another 10. I had A-10, opponent had A-Q. I massively overbet the end and he called. Same thing when I had A-J on AAA board and opponent had KK.

I don't make this play every time (quad queens with 3 on board bet small on end no callers), only when I am sure my opponent has the 2nd best possible hand (each time they have talked themselves into it by saying "no way he goes all in with quads here.")