Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2005, 06:45 PM

Default AKs versus a crazy

My opponent in this hand has been raising almost every hand and following up with bets on every street that he's checked to. He tends to cold call bets into him.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($1308.2)
BB ($365.2)
UTG ($430)
UTG+1 ($618)
MP1 ($594)
MP2 ($736.7)
MP3 ($2126.08)
CO ($572)
Button ($515)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $22, BB calls $19.

Does anyone like repopping before the flop?

Flop: ($75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

what is my plan for the rest of the hand? this villian is capable of having any two and will nearly always bet pot if checked to.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:04 AM

Default Re: AKs versus a crazy

Well, once you have TPTK and you're sure he'll pot it every street you check to him - check call the whole way. This is the highest variance way to play it, but the most profitable too. CR the turn if you get edgy...

BTW, this is what you get when you play w/ super aggros. High variance, but profitable.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:34 AM

I check/raise the flop. There are some draws out there and you don't want him spiking a weird 2 pair, straight or flush against you.

If you know that he'll bet when checked to, though, let him put some money in for you.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:11 AM

I agree, if he is indeed as aggro as you say. You will be facing some large river bets a lot of the time; a lot depends on how well you know how he plays rivers. I like a minimal turn check-raise in this spot.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:50 AM

I would check-raise the flop. The reason for this is that even if he does auto-bet, most players like this also know that if they have a monster they can bet huge and get paid off by people who think that they're catching a bluff. You don't want to let him hit some two pair or flush or straight because if he does he'll bet hard and you'll probably have to call. I'd say it's best avoiding situations like that and mnimizing the chances of your opponent hitting and taking lots of money from you.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Results

I decided to go for the turn check raise as it seemed like it would be the most profitable play. Here's how the hand played out.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (9 handed) converter

Hero ($1308.2)
BB ($365.2)
UTG ($430)
UTG+1 ($618)
MP1 ($594)
MP2 ($736.7)
MP3 ($2126.08)
CO ($572)
Button ($515)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to $25</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $22, BB calls $19.

Flop: ($75) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $60</font>, Hero calls $60, BB folds.

Turn: ($195) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets $200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $600</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $995

At the time I was a little scared to make this bet as it is definitely not a standard play for me. If he calls my turn check raise or reraises I am done with the hand as that was just about the worst card in the deck for my hand.

Edit: I think this might be better than a flop check raise because if he decides to call with nothing, he will be able to take the pot away on a scary turn card but I am still not sure.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Results

You chose a very awkward time to make your raise. Why do you make this raise here? Are you raising for value or bluffing the flush that you fear he turned? I dont necessarily dislike the play here, but I would like to know a little more reasoning.

Also past tells would be nice to have on the player. It seems the way you've been analizing his play, "My opponent in this hand has been raising almost every hand and following up with bets on every street that he's checked to. He tends to cold call bets into him." generally means you aren't able to pick up much of a read on the Villain.

If you know the villain will get away from KJ, T8, or even a set here(all valid givin no read except he plays a lot of hands,) then your play here is a lot more understandable, assuming the Villain is having as difficult a time reading you.

Obviously the hand worked out in your favor, but i think in the long run, putting 1/2 your stack and on a pot-sized check-raise on a prayer against a player who you can't read isn't always the most profitable play.

Also, if/when he pushes your check-raise, with 1/2 of your stack invested are you able to get away from your hand potentially drawing dead?