Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Bob Dole Weighs In

Former Sen. Bob Dole, a World War II veteran and 1996 Republican presidential nominee, suggested Kerry apologize for his 1971 testimony to Congress about atrocities U.S. soldiers allegedly committed in Vietnam.

No need for the country to apologize for the atrocities, just Kerry for having the indecency to talk about them.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Bob Dole Weighs In

Then you should hate Kerry even more, for recently conceding that his representations were inaccurate and exagerrated.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:39 PM

Man, you need to watch what you are 'cutting' that stuff with. Why don't you put the pipe down for a day or two?
Old 08-23-2004, 05:40 PM

I don't hate Kerry, so I won't hate him "even more." I don't hate Bush either. I may prefer one or the other to be president.

What inaccuracies and/or exaggerations would make what Dole said less objectionable? The fact that Kerry was probably in Cambodia later than Christmas rather than Christmas? What is he wasn't there at all?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Former Sen. Bob Dole, a World War II veteran and 1996 Republican presidential nominee, suggested Kerry apologize for his 1971 testimony to Congress about atrocities U.S. soldiers allegedly committed in Vietnam.

[/ QUOTE ]

We go from alleged atrocities committed by those Kerry served with to -------------

[ QUOTE ]
No need for the country to apologize for the atrocities, just Kerry for having the indecency to talk about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Atrocities certainly committed.

The Viet Nam vets that served with Kerry are pissed because they felt that they conducted themselves honorably in Viet Nam. Apparently Dole believes these Vets and doesn't feel that Kerry was right about what he testified to in Congress in 1971. Shall we discuss that testimony? Even Kerry has stated that he went "over the top" in making his statements then.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:18 PM

Hi Andy,

I dont understand you post or you are baiting people to comment.

Either Kerry is a war criminal or a liar. Which one do you think it is? Do you believe he was speaking honestly in his senate testimony?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:23 PM

According to the "Swift Voat Veterans for the Bruth", Kerry shot a young teenager in the back clad in a loin cloth running away from him unarmed.

So were the Swifties aware of atrocities committed by Kerry, and didn't report them? Covered up known atrocities?
Or are the Not-So-Swifties lying about Kerry's actions?
Old 08-23-2004, 06:26 PM

The wounds of Vietnam cut very deep into the soul of America. This whole hullabaloo is proof of this - more than ever since it is now more than 30 years later.

Some points - atrocities are committed in all wars (aside from the fact that war itself is an atrocity). This point is not made as an excuse, but it is a fact that gets glossed over in many discussions.

The atrocities (alleged and/or factual) committed in Vietnam were used as a political football by a host of people for aims that spread the gamut from altruism to sheer scheming ambition and attention.

We both lived through this tumultuous time and we probably both carry scars of this era. I still have mixed feelings and unresolved issues about what happened. In general, it was a rather shameful period for America. But one thing that younger people may miss is that many Vietnam Vets (men and women) still have deep-seated pain from what occurred there and from all the political fall out, and the dismal aftermath of the post war period. All this is being resurrected in an ugly political atmosphere that reopens old wounds and issues, creates even more division, but brings no healing.

To me, that is the worse part of all of this.

All sides are probably to blame for this but I personally did not like Kerry doing his “Reporting for Duty’ thing at the DNC. This was unnecessary and too much braggart and swagger for a ‘war hero’ to take, in my opinion. This rankled many people. Including me. To be fair, Bush is probably no better.

That’s about all I wanted to say.

-Zeno
Old 08-23-2004, 06:30 PM

"This was unnecessary and too much braggart and swagger for a ‘war hero’ to take, in my opinion."

For the true definition of 'swagger' watch Bush walk across the flight deck of the carrier in his flight suit. 'Mission Accomplished' is also the credo of a braggart, when people are still getting killed daily.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What inaccuracies and/or exaggerations would make what Dole said less objectionable?

[/ QUOTE ]
John Kerry painted the other people in that picture with him as psycho war criminals. And they hate him for it. So he should apologize. Why is this hard to understand?

Vietnam vets have been looked down at with suspicion for 30 years, and now it's payback time.