Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 02:34 PM

Default Re: Based on my DVD collection... What am I missing?

[ QUOTE ]
I like many of the same movies you listed. You may enjoy the following:

1. Requiem for a Dream
2. Killing Zoe
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. The French Connection
5. Taxi Driver
6. Pope of Greenwich Village
7. Midnight Run
8. 48 Hrs.
9. True Romance
10. Hard Eight

[/ QUOTE ]

Another one I forgot... Full Metal Jacket, thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Futurama Vol 1-4
Chapelle's Show Season 1-2

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what it was about Futurama, but I did not like it very much when it came out. I have not seen it for many years so maybe I need to give it a try again. I felt the same way about Family Guy at first and now it is one of the best shows on TV. Didn't Family Guy not get really popular until it was cancelled and put on DVD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like it all that much at first either. It's only when I saw the first DVD of it that I realized that it wasn't just good, it was great. The subtleties of the character interactions are often hilarious -- the expressions they trade, and such, are very off kilter and not the ones you would expect in similar situations. The characters themselves are often just fun no matter what they do, particularly Fry, Dr. Zoidberg, and The Professor. There are constant little bits they do that are very funny completely outside of what's happening in the plot and flow of action. And the voice acting in the show is really great.

One of the things I like about it most of all is that it was what the Simpsons used to be -- Groenig's sly slant on things that the Simpsons eventually watered down into a likeable family phenomenon. Futurama's people never lost as much of the misfit as did the Simpsons, or as much of their anger. The Simpsons eventually became a world where even the bad guys join the good guys in being all in this thing together; Mr. Burns and Mr. Smithers lost both their bite and their contemptibility, and were rehabbed into the grand, happy human family. Futurama's people were jerks and losers, sometimes pretty confused about it, sometimes defiant or even happy about it. They still had some spunk, misdirected though it often was. Futurama wasn't afraid to have people who weren't always on the right side of everything, and their digs at the world were sharper and truer than the Simpsons were past their first half dozen years. As The Simpsons slipped more into being a kid's show, Futurama kept an adult twist. I think it's where Groenig's real heart lay after The Simpsons became more of a bland, mid-cult popular juggernaut that nobody would bother writing outraged letters to sponsors about anymore.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Futurama Vol 1-4
Chapelle's Show Season 1-2

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what it was about Futurama, but I did not like it very much when it came out. I have not seen it for many years so maybe I need to give it a try again. I felt the same way about Family Guy at first and now it is one of the best shows on TV. Didn't Family Guy not get really popular until it was cancelled and put on DVD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't like it all that much at first either. It's only when I saw the first DVD of it that I realized that it wasn't just good, it was great. The subtleties of the character interactions are often hilarious -- the expressions they trade, and such, are very off kilter and not the ones you would expect in similar situations. The characters themselves are often just fun no matter what they do, particularly Fry, Dr. Zoidberg, and The Professor. There are constant little bits they do that are very funny completely outside of what's happening in the plot and flow of action. And the voice acting in the show is really great.

One of the things I like most of all is was what the Simpsons used to be -- Groenig's sly slant on things that the Simpsons eventually watered down into a likeable family phenomenon. Futurama's people never lost as much of the misfit as did the Simpsons, or as much of their anger. The Simpsons eventually became a world where even the bad guys join the good guys in being all in this thing together; Mr. Burns lost both their bite and their contemptibility, and were rehabbed into the grand, happy human family. Futurama's people were jerks and losers, sometimes pretty confused about it, sometimes defiant or even happy about it. They still had some spunk, misdirected though it often was. Futurama wasn't afraid to have people who weren't always on the right side of everything, and their digs at the world were sharper and truer than the Simpsons were past their few half dozen years. As The Simpsons slipped more into being a kid's show, Futurama kept an adult twist. I think it's where Groenig's real heart lay after The Simpsons became more of a bland, mid-cult popular juggernaut that nobody would bother writing outraged letters to sponsors about anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice post Blarg.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:06 PM

good collection, but you really need some classics.

Hitchcock, David Lean, John Ford, Billy Wilder, film noir, etc.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:14 PM

My first thought was that he needed more horror classics, but some people just don't like horror, and his lack of it suggested he might not either.

I hesitated to recommend The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, because some don't like westerns, but finally did because it's a great movie whether you like westerns or not.

It's hard to recommend movies for people who are not clear about what they really like.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Donnie Darko, no questions asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a question (hehe), would you recommend the director's cut or the theatrical? I would recommend the theatrical, I found the director's cut left a little less to the imagination and the pace wasn't quite as good.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:11 PM

You seem to have a prediliction toward snappy dialogue with some action and honour, I'll take that into account.

You make look at some of the list and think *ugh* black and white, but I assure you these are just amazingly entertaining films that anyone who loves movies will enjoy.

Kurosawa, mainly:
The Seven Samurai
Rashomon
Ikiru
(but I'm pretty sure after you see these you'll want all his flicks).

Wilder, mianly:
The Aparment
Double Indemnity
Sunset Blvd.

Hitchcock, there's a box set coming out this fall I believe, keep a look out.

Scorsese, hopefully you got Goodfellas as part of the box set with After Hours and Mean Streets, and get the MGM box set with Raging Bull. And anything else he directed you don't have.

Kubrick, mainly:
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange

Coen Brother, again keep an eye open for fourthcoming box set which will include a new edition of the Big Lebowski. Also, Fargo and Miller's Crossing.

Citizen Kane
Casablanca
The Third Man
Touch of Evil
The Man with No Name Trilogy + Once Upon a Time in the West
Midnight Cowboy
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Glengarry Glen Ross (based on your list, yuou'd probably love this)
Grosse Point Blank + High Fidelity
Lawrence of Arabia
Bonnie and Clyde
The Professional + The Fifth Element
Clerks + Chasing Amy
City of God
Being John Malkovich + Adaptation + Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Shaun of the Dead
Before Sunrise + Before Sunset
Old 10-20-2005, 06:19 PM

The Sopranos
Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first thought was that he needed more horror classics, but some people just don't like horror, and his lack of it suggested he might not either.

I hesitated to recommend The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, because some don't like westerns, but finally did because it's a great movie whether you like westerns or not.

It's hard to recommend movies for people who are not clear about what they really like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like a lot of movies, and am getting into new genres all the time, so nothing is out of the question.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:24 PM

tl; dr

Consider listing the DVDs you own in alphabetical order for better replies.