Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: A-K strategy in general

[ QUOTE ]

(2) Limp into the flop, as a means of keeping hands like A-rag or K-rag suited in the hand. Then, if the ace or king hits after the flop, you can get those guys to bet into you and just call them on the flop and turn, which hides your strength. On the river, you can pull a check-raise, which they'll have a tough time not walking away from with so much already invested on a top pair, and you're going to most likely bust them (or come close to it) and take down a monster pot. If you had raised it up pre-flop, a hand like ace-6 isn't going to like his hand nearly as much after the flop as if you had just limped in.
What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, the times I have seen a limper with AK lose his whole stack to As8s when that 8 hits on the turn...

I really think it's a bad idea to check-raise the river when you have merely been calling down an opponent with TPTK unless they always overplay their own TP. When you raise preflop with AK, you have some way of defining your opponents hand, and will rarely lose to a weaker A unless a Q or J rolls off. But then you are at least armed with enough information that you can more clearly define their hand.

I think the best bet is to mix up both strategies. Limping in with it occasionaly can lead to some big pots and leave your opponents scratching their heads when you do raise with it. Your biggest danger comes from overplaying it when you do limp with it.