Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 03:51 PM

Default is this +EV or am I a luckbox?

Hi, I only started to play NL and is unsure whether the way I play is correct. Basically I feel raising with almost anytwo suited in position is a great way to steal pots (folllowed by a continuation bet postflop) and get that maniacal image that will payoff when you get a big hand. Please note I only do this when I first sit down on a table to build up my image.

Here is the hand in question, my image at the table is again, very LAG (probably raised 60%+ the hands at this table so far, partly due to a run of cards, partly due to the weak/passive nature of this table). The villain sat down a few hands ago, he reraised me once already (I raised to 35, one caller, and the villain reraised to 105) where I laid down pf. In that hand he doubled up w/KK when he hit a set. This is the very next hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($1235)
UTG ($1054.25)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($1858.58)</font>
<font color="#C00000">CO ($0)</font>
Button ($1198.50)
<font color="#C00000">SB ($1727)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $35</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB (poster) raises to $80</font>, BB calls $75, Hero calls $50.

Flop: ($255) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $175</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $450</font>,
<font color="#CC3333">SB reraises allin </font>,Hero calls $1192.

Turn: ($2072) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: ($2072) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: $2072
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $2072, between Hero, CO and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero ($2072).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
SB has Ac Ah (one pair, aces).
Hero has 4c Tc (two pair, tens and fours).
CO doesn't show.
Outcome: Hero wins $2072. </font>

Please critique this hand/my pf raising standards.
Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: is this +EV or am I a luckbox?

Did this hand really happen?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:02 PM

Don't play this high but.....

Hate it, why play a big pot OOP against a new player who you have no read on, other than that he's played solid values so far. Your raise is basically a min raise so he's pretty much garenteed to call.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:05 PM

I promise you it did. Although I had to change the hand history a little bit (I manually inserted the part where sb goes allin) since the converter did not pick it up.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't play this high but.....

Hate it, why play a big pot OOP against a new player who you have no read on, other than that he's played solid values so far. Your raise is basically a min raise so he's pretty much garenteed to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I think you read the post wrong (I am in position, and the villain did the min raise).
Old 10-24-2005, 05:10 PM

Villain didn't min-raise.

With stacks that deep and two players you can call that reraise PF. But is it EV+? Depends. How much image play do you get from this in the long run? He had AA. You'd have probably stacked him by limping and letting him raise and cold calling.

Any trashy hand can make a big one. But if you go around committing $80 PF with hands like T4s too often, you're gonna find yourself on the losing end a lot more than the winning. Biggest problem is that with AA, he's still got about 20% to catch up to you. Not that it's a lot, but bottom line, you're still gonna lose a fair number of hands when you flop your bottom two pair there. Add on how many times you have to fold after the flop, and paying $80 with trash is never going to be EV+.

- C -
Old 10-24-2005, 06:34 PM

pot doesnt add up. whats going on?
Old 10-24-2005, 07:32 PM

A lot of things have to happen in order for you to get paid off here. First, you have to hit two pair, set or flush. and even on the slim chance that you do hit these hands you still have to get paid off. If he had AK and then flop was 10 4 4, you still wont be making too much money off of it unless he spikes an ace or a king. And you wont be making any money if your hand doesnt hold, which a good percentage of the time it will bust in this spot. he could just as easily have had KK for 3 kings instead of AA here.

But i do not disagree with your play preflop here. Aggro is the most profitable way to play, so the chances that youll win blinds combined with the times youll out play them with position after the flop with the times that youll stack them when you hit a miracle flop all make this type of play fine. and after their raise, youre getting like 7 to 1 on the call so thats almost trivial.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:48 PM

raising is position is +EV if they fold their winning misses/marginals
Old 10-25-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pot doesnt add up. whats going on?

[/ QUOTE ]the convertor messed up the action, so the sb's last 1192 that he pushed in didnt seem to make it to the final poit total.