Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 09:27 PM

Default Re: Heartland Poker Tour allows questionable entry option

I can't believe this topic is still being debated. The best part is when Tek says the $65 satelite to the $440 is ok, but the $440 satelite to the $2200 is not. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, qualifier as in qualifying for the next round. Starting with a new stack instead of carrying over does not make it a new tourny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno how you have that many posts, but don't understand satelites.

If you start with a new stack, the "qualifying rouunds" were just satelites, with the top 20% getting seats worth $2000.

If you kept your stack from the previous rounds, yea that would be really wierd, but even then, it would be +EV for you to have 'donks' buy in at that level.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:34 PM

It has not previously been a 2k event. They were $275-$550 events. Since their inception in July, the procedure was you pay the entry and finish in the top 20% and then come back on Sunday and finish the tournament.

The 2k option is new for next month because some cry babies asked for the ability to pay for the priviledge of avoiding getting knocked off on Friday or Saturday like they usually do.

Forgetting the fact that they suck and how good it is to play against them, you still don't see the unfairness of them sidestepping a round of play where they would not usually get through.

So yes, IN EFFECT the TD's are CREATING a 2k event and treating the majority of us AS THOUGH we are in a $440 SATELLITE.

Does this mean it's right that a couple of guys can change tournament policies to suit their preference?

Perhaps this topic should be discussed in a macro sense in the Politics forum because it mirrors what goes on in society in general.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:49 PM

I can offer no more intelligent response to this. This is astounding.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, this is baffling. It is like you think it is all about winning and not about money. The analogy of paying 4K to get to the FT only works if it is a 18man tourney. If you want to pay your way to a FT of ten, you need to pay (10/# of entrants). These players are paying the same as you to enter the sunday tourney. There is no special treatment. This is poker. Money plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Winning the money is important, but so is the spirit of competition.

If you think I am placing an emphasis on the winning aspect, the guys getting their rule change enacted are exhibiting more of this attitude than I am. They are the ones who are in effect changing the event from a $400 + 40 to a $2000 + 200 event with a $440 satellite because they want to win so bad they have to avoid Friday and Saturday.

As I've lately said, that's fine as long as we call it what it is.

It's now a $2200 event where the majority are playing the $440 satellite.

I just wish Greg and Todd would identify it as such so it would look cooler on the results sheet...

But they won't because it would look silly to have the event listed as a $2200 event with a $30-someK 1st place payout...
Old 10-15-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Starting with a new stack instead of carrying over does not make it a new tourny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it does, yes it does, yes it does, yes it does, yes it does, yes it does, yes it does, yes it does.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So yes, IN EFFECT the TD's are CREATING a 2k event and treating the majority of us AS THOUGH we are in a $440 SATELLITE.

Does this mean it's right that a couple of guys can change tournament policies to suit their preference?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep and yep.

They made a 2k tournament. It is completely right because we are not debating morality. It's certainly not wrong for them to do this, is it? It's their tournament. Can't they run it however the heck they want? If not, why not? They can use whatever terminology they want or whatever. If they want to call the rounds the supersatellite, the final round and the ultra-final round, that's their business, so logn as the players are informed of exactly how the tournament will be run.

On another note, couldn't Phil Hellmuth and Gus Hansen decide that they want to play but that the qualifying rounds aren't worth their time?

Will

BTW, I'll sit down with donks and play poker anytime anywhere for any amount that even begins to look like it might fit in my bankroll.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I've lately said, that's fine as long as we call it what it is.

It's now a $2200 event where the majority are playing the $440 satellite.

[/ QUOTE ]

From previous posts in this thread, it really seemed like you didn't realize that. I can point out at least one post where it looked like you were insinuating that the direct-buyins were of greater value.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, there are satellites for around $65 to get into the qualifying round (instead of paying $440). That's fine. I don't have a problem with that.

The issue is this NEW idea they have where instead of paying $440 to enter the qualifying round, one can pay $2200 and NOT HAVE TO QUALIFY BUT GO DIRECTLY TO THE SUNDAY FINALS.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seriously reads as if you don't understand the similarites between qualifying for the second step with $65, qualifying for the third step with $440, or directly buying into the third step with $220.

It was as if you'd never heard of qualifyers and satellites before, but now all of a sudden it's crystal clear to you and you're just upset about the structure of the tournament.

I think you owe a few people an apology.

EDIT: I just noticed that even the thread title makes it seem as if you didn't grasp the basic concepts before they were explained to you.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:44 PM

My point has been that they changed the structure for a few players. The issue was not whether I understood the before and after structure.

I don't owe anybody anything.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:51 PM

Folks, he obviously isn't going to change his opinion so why keep trying? Just let this thread die by not responding.