Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 AM

Default Re: continuing 300 Bb thread

whats the difference everyone picks one sentence out of context and applies it to their particular game i really though i explained it well. my point has been lost in the air. oh well i am learning to type.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
whats the difference everyone picks one sentence out of context and applies it to their particular game i really though i explained it well. my point has been lost in the air. oh well i am learning to type.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point was made. Some people just have a hard time dealing with the fact that bad results, so those are only bad luck, but any good result - it's ALL them. People who lost 300bb's aren't likely to be shouting in agreement.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:44 AM

People get used to 300+ downswings because they multitable and thatfore not play very well. They make so much more $ anyway because they can play many more hands. But believing they are good players because they make some pretty nice money is folish. Everybody multitabling can't play his best game and therefore play with less overall advantage what results in higher swings.

If i play live or single-table online and lose 300+ BB i quit poker. I play since 7 years (online 4 years) now and never came close to that number. My biggest downswing was 185 in 2002 and i win 3.2 BB for 100 hands played .
Old 08-15-2005, 06:13 AM

Default Re: This is the most important post in 2+2 history...

"It seems that they really do have shift keys up there in Montana after all."

i heard they thaw out for a couple months in summer.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:29 AM

you've never lost more than 50 BBs in a game?

I can recall two situations where I have dropped significantly more in a live game.

The last time was in Tunica during the WPT. I was in an Amazing 20-40 game. People calling three cold with J3h, flopping nothing, calling 2 more cold, then making a runner runner flush. I saw one guy take a ton of heat with a pair of 3's, go to the river, spike it, and scoop.

I was not on tilt. I was playing well. Nothing held up. But I kept digging in to my pocket because the game was a dream, even though the results weren't.

I dropped almost 5K in that game. That is way past a 50 BB loss.

So should I have gotten up? at what point? I've always been told you stay in a game that is good as long as you're playing well.

Do you just set a stop loss and get up regardless? I've been told that is the wrong approach...

-Scott
Old 08-15-2005, 11:27 AM

If I understand Ray's point, it's that if you lose that much in a session, you're understanding of the game is probably flawed and you're probably not playiing as well as you think for the given circumstances. It's the rare player indeed who has a clear head when significantly stuck.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:16 PM

Most of my huge losses have come whent the game was exceptionally good (and my biggest wins).
Old 08-15-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Most of my huge losses have come whent the game was exceptionally good (and my biggest wins).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so selfevidently true. U lose most when u get good flops all the time and people suckout on you later. By defintion, a suckout is when they call when they shouldnt.

My best in one day is +200BB. And worst is -150BB. All against the same players never folding whatever they got. I do agree I probably lost a few bets (let say 10BB when "I couldnt believe they hit again" calling when I shouldnt) they day they killed me. But even with me playing worse then normal I played 100 times better then they did.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:30 PM

Then the game is probably not quite as good as we think it is. Mason wrote about this in, I think, his first book of essays, that games with giant pots may not be as good as games with medium or medium-large pots. No question, though, that variance will be greater in wilder games than in tighter games.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then the game is probably not quite as good as we think it is. Mason wrote about this in, I think, his first book of essays, that games with giant pots may not be as good as games with medium or medium-large pots. No question, though, that variance will be greater in wilder games than in tighter games.

[/ QUOTE ]

So should you really be thinking about getting up from a game populated by poker morons, just because you're stuck?

-Scott