Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 12:04 AM

Default Needlessly long, painfully standard? Commerce 5/10nl

Unsure of how I played this hand, was told I played it very standardly by another 2+2er, but am not positive what the best line is.

Commerce 5/10 nl. I have a tight/agg image and SB has been at the same table as I have for a couple of hours. We've played together once or twice, and he recognizes me as a regular. SB is a middle aged Frenchmen, tight aggressive player, who plays quite solidly. However, he seems very straightforward in his play and I have yet to see him get out of line in any way. The typical ABC player in this game: bets his good hands, folds his bad hands, calls or folds his marginal hands. My stack is ~$1500 and he covers.

I get ThTc in MP, everyone folds to me and I make it $40. Weak Passive guy calls in the cutoff, Frenchy in the SB calls.

Pot: $130
Flop: Kd 7d Ts

SB checks, I bet $70, CO folds, Frenchy picks up his cards and looks at them, and I almost start reaching for the chips there as this means hes going to fold 99.999% of the time. He thinks for almost an entire minute then chucks out $140. It really looks like hes making a move here, but I've never seen him do that - and I really doubt he'd try and do it to me of all people. I probably looked very surprised at his minraise, but I think for a while and call.

Pot: $410
Turn: 3h Ts Kd 7d

He checks... (??) and I bet $200.

What is his range here? Flop action? Turn action? Standard? The turn check really threw me off.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 AM

Default Re: Needlessly long, painfully standard? Commerce 5/10nl

Seems OK to me. I probably reraise flop. Seems like a straight or flush draw. (I maybe make it $250 or $300 on turn)

JdQd is possible
Old 11-16-2005, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My stack is ~$1500 and he covers.

Pot: $410
Turn: 3h Ts Kd 7d

He checks... (??) and I bet $200.

[/ QUOTE ]
that's a really really bad bet-size.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:15 AM

he could have a variety of hands given your weak flop bet.....as for the turn....you need to bet at least 350 here....there are 2 straight draws and a flush draw out there. Yeah, just bet more on the flop and on the turn....hope it worked out well for you
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 AM

yawn.
bet at least the pot and prob more on flop/turn.
bye.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:02 AM

Very strange indeed from a straightforward player. Given you had a set and this is your second post on the hand something bad happened!!

No one "makes a move" with a minraise after looking at his hand for a minute, I believe he has a monster. Its hard to believe he has KK and has flopped a set which it sounds like he has by your post, but you really can't put him on that so be prepared to go broke if he has it.

If I was in your shoes I probably put him on KQ. He called a preflop raise and he checked to you the raiser, you put in standard continuation bet and he wanted to see where he stood. He found out you were not afraid of the K and now he is shutting down.

$200 bet gives him 3-1 on a 5-1 if he is on a draw (a good player would not be on a draw here though) so he doesn't have odds to draw, if he has bottom set or K10 you want to induce him to come over the top again and $200 might do it, it which case all your money goes into the center.