Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2005, 03:32 AM

Default Empire 2/4- Aces in a huge pot

don't think I played this hand right, but I'm not really sure where I could improve. I felt that I had to bet 4th st. when the 3rd street capper checked to me. Would a preferable line be to check behind and possibly induce a bet from him when the limit doubles on 5th street? I thought about it, but I really wasn't sure at all that he would bet on 5th street.

Comments on all streets are welcome.

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___raises
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___raises___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls___calls

4th Street - (17.38 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (10.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

6th Street - (14.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (18.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Seat 8: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (18.69 BB)
Old 10-10-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Empire 2/4- Aces in a huge pot

Is there any reason no one is responding to this post? I know its not a fascinating hand or anything, but I really would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2005, 04:54 PM

3rd and forth street are good

5th i probably put the breaks on and take a free shot at aces up against open jacks and a semi live 3 flush.

I like the bet on 6th, you have a ton of outs if you are behind.

gotta check down 7th
Old 10-10-2005, 05:09 PM

I think the checking 4th plan would be ok, in theory at least noone should be folding on 4th here.

On 5th I think I'd check, especially with the 3 flush behind you. In fact at this point I would consider checking and folding, because that guy definitely could have the flush or at least a 4 flush, plus there's the other guys to consider (ie you need to at least make another pair to win, plus not have the guy with 3 flush have or make a flush).

If I had bet 5th, I guess I'd bet 5th. Noone showing any more strength, you may actually have pretty good equity. But you still probably have to hit.

Hope I'm wrong and you won with just aces.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:17 PM

The thing, you're probably not wrong.

The hand is way too multi-way, and you're probably not going to hold up. However, you have to bet the four flush. All you want to see on the river is a spade. Catch two-pair, and check/call. Otherwise you can probably leave the hand.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:42 PM

I think you played it just fine, presuming you think you would have called a raise on 5th from the jacks.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:53 PM

Yeah, I was basically positive that I wasn't going to be looking at trip jacks unless he had quads. What hands with a jack in the hole play that strongly on 3rd street.

Here's a question:
Because I know that JJ doesn't have a jack in the hole, would I 3 bet his raise on fifth? What would I take into consideration before 3 betting his fifth street raise?

-The likelihood that he has trips or better (small)
-the likelihood that I can fold out the draws behind me (small to moderate)
-The size of the pot (large)
-My chances to improve to a good hand (small to moderate)

Anything else I should consider? All in all, I probably would have re-raised fifth if he checkraised me, but I'm not sure that would be the correct move, because the players behind me might not fold, and if they don't fold, I have little chance to improve to a world beating hand and I'm 2nd to act between two draws and an aggressive first to act player. Can anyway say jammed?

So, if he checkraised, I probably would have thought "omg, I have to protect my hand "RAISE!"", and made a mistake.

I think the original response that I should check fifth and try to hit 2 pair for free was probably correct, but not just because of the JJ. Actually, I wasn't worried about the open jacks, except insofar as I was worried about any 2 pair.

As far as sixth street is concerned:
Should I bet my four flush/pair of aces? I know I have to make 2 pair or better to win, so the ability to check behind my UI aces is not of any value.

Also, even if I get called by all the players, it is not a bet for value because my flush, if made, might be second best, and also, I am of course more than a 3-1 dog to hit it.

Wow, multiway pots in 7 card stud are pretty complicated, huh?