Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Table Selection

1. How important do you guys feel table selection is? Is it more important in 0/8 then in other games? Less?
2. What type of games should most 0/8 be looking for?
Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: Table Selection

very important, for me it's deciding on whether I want to play O8 or holdem.
YOu want to see many players seeing the flop, people who call with 2nd and 3rd best hand, players that chase. Basically people playing loose and making mistakes.
What you don't want to see is a very tight aggressive game, with a preflop raise and one or no one calls.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 PM

What about a loose-aggressive game? I found myself in one where one player would pot it pre-flop everytime and get a bunch of callers. I thought it would help matters, but I just couldnt win at that table.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:18 PM

loose agressive is fine, you get paid big on your hands but the game will have much more variance than a loose passive game.
Loose agressive is good if one or two players are agressive, not as good if everyone is aggressive.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:14 PM

loose-aggressive PLO8 is very dangerous for a new player. Unless you are comfortable postflop, these games can be very costly. I would look for more passive tables in this game.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:18 AM

Table selection is important but its a fallacy. what you need to do is player selection. You want to play against fish. look for the fish.
A tight table is ok too you will raise a bit more and bluss a bit more, steal antes and get other tight players to fold more. In the loose 7 tight game the money comes from the fish at the table.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:21 AM

Table selection is very important.

You want a loose game. Michael Cappelletti recommends playing in games where five or more players are seeing the flop. This has come to be known as "Cappelletti's Rule." You also want a game where players are playing loosely post-flop. In most low limits games with lots of players seeing the flop this is not a problem. As you move up in limits you will find some players who play loosely preflop but then tighten up and only play with the nuts or a draw to the nuts.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:35 AM

I understand what you are saying about player selection...but I think in the end it is the same thing as table selection. You need to adjust your play accordingly.

I find that the .5/1 games and .25/.50 games are tighter than the 1/2 and 2/4 games at UB.

The 1/2 games can be loose aggressive with a lot of pre-flop raising.

In that game I do well when I sit back, wait for the right opportunity and pop them back.

But nothing is as profitable as a real game with real people. Last night at our golf club we had 8 people see a flop 100% of the time at an 8 person table.

In that game I turn into the aggressor taking people out of their comfort zones.

Now that's table selection and player selection.

Dave
Old 07-22-2005, 01:48 PM

I don't understand your distinction between table selection and player selection?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:25 PM

I guess that is exactly the point I was trying to make...poorly.

That if you find a table full of bad players, you don't need to be as selective about who to play against and who not to play against.

And...I find live play to be much softer than internet play.

Dave