Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 12:56 PM

Default If media could fix WSOP ME

I have a poker friend who works in "the media". I won't say more than that. I ask him if the media(poker press/TV) could
fix the WSOP Main Event, who would they want to win. I got three answers:

1. A woman - any woman
2. A charismatic New York/California kind of guy.
3. Doyle Brunson

I then asked, given that the event could not be fixed, who would you not want to see win:

1. A tedious Vegas-pro like Lederer or Seidel.
2. An online guy from nowhere like Moneymaker. This surprised me. His attitude was that Moneymaker types are yesterday's news.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: If media could fix WSOP ME

Vince McMahon should be in charge of the WSOP.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:42 PM

As far as media-friendly WSOP winners go, I agree on the "any woman" and Doyle Brunson, but I can't believe they didn't include TJ Cloutier. Sure, it would be nice if a woman won, but you can't tell me that TJ isn't the most deserving of a WSOP main event bracelet, by far.

I mean, how many final tables has he been in? And he came within one card of winning it in 2000!

It'd be nice if it could come down to Cloutier and Hellmuth, and Cloutier could suck out on Hellmuth on the final hand. That way, TJ gets the bracelet he deserves, and we get to watch Phil throw stuff too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2005, 01:53 PM

If ESPN could fix the series, they would probably have the final five be made up entirely of members of the Crew.
Old 05-30-2005, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It'd be nice if it could come down to Cloutier and Hellmuth, and Cloutier could suck out on Hellmuth on the final hand. That way, TJ gets the bracelet he deserves, and we get to watch Phil throw stuff too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be awesome... If it happens it would possibly be the best poker show ever.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:09 PM

perfect final table for "the media": Phil H., Mr. Brunson, Howard Lederer, Ben Affleck, Internet Guy Du-Jour, Internet Guy Du-Jour #2, Chris Ferguson, Shana Hiatt( I know), Tony G "EVERYFIN!", some crazy ass semi pro wearing a ninja mask and cataract shades.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:40 PM

Bobby Chung needs to be at the final table: link
Old 05-30-2005, 03:05 PM

I think both the positive and negative #2 go hand-in-hand.

If an online guy came from nowhere with the "NY/Cali" charisma, it'd be the perfect match.

Let's face it, the last three winners have been a dork (Varkonyi); a boring, quiet, good 'ol southern boy going on the name alone (Moneymaker); and your typical American family man (Raymer).

Give the media a decent-looking single guy that likes to gab a little and that's open to being molded for the TV cameras and they'll run with it. Or give them Devilfish. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Or Marcel.

Hellmuth as the other person at heads-up, yapping away about being one person away from the pride and glory of being the first to get to 10 bracelets, and thus being the greatest of all-time, and then failing, would be the absolutely perfect foil.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:40 PM

Vegas Stakes was an AWESOME game, man, I need to break it out. BTW, would you like to buy my watch?
Old 05-30-2005, 05:57 PM

Dude You get sup bro to switch cards on the final hand to hit runner runner quads to beat hellmouths aces full of kings. Then Phil Hellmouth proceeds to attack Sup Bro and Sup Bro with his legion of hot women step in and beat up Phil Hellmouth.!!!!