Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which do you use?
GameTimePlus 27 34.18%
PlayerView 21 26.58%
Neither (yet!) 31 39.24%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Would you tell someone about 2+2?

I certainly wouldn't suggest this site or any of the top poker books to any but my closest friends. And as none of my friends play poker that means nobody. Having said that I don't think it would do a ton of harm if your average player brought themselves a poker book. There is a world of difference between reading for instance The Theory of Poker and picking up a few ideas, which is what 95% of its readers would do and really studying it and learning, and then applying the concepts therein.

One thing I have never shirked from in my quest to become a highly profitable player is the study needed. It takes hard work and hours and hours of continual study to get really good at this game for all but the most gifted players. Not many players have either the desire or the disipline to slog there guts out day after day in pursuit of excellence.

My point, if I haven't made it already, is that it won't make a vast amount of difference to most players what you tell em. They might take a gander over to this site and buy a good book but whilst this may improve them a little, thay have miles to go before they are catching me up.

Having said that why take the chance of them getting even a little better, no point costing yourselves an extra bet when they make a correct fold. If someone asks about my success, as they did yesterday, I just said I was having a lucky day but lose most of the time! Hey, we are poker players, we are supposed to lie!
Old 01-17-2005, 02:11 AM

I wouldn't mention anything 2+2 related at a table with a bunch of people I don't know (like when I play online). However, if I'm playing a small game with some friends I'd suggest it....because they're my friends. But that's the only case [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2005, 03:03 AM

If someone asked me for advice I would tell them to go read a book and let them figure it out on their own.... I think that's the best way to do it.... figuring it out on your own that is.

Anyone who was serious about poker would eventually find 2+2 by themselves.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:50 AM

This is exactly what everyboyd should be thinking no other comments are needed.
I have told my friends who are serious about poker and who want to become good players about it. However, I would never say "two plus two" or "david sklansky" or anything else dangerous on an internet table. I don't mind my friends improving and becoming better poker players, but I don't want the general poker population to improve. It isn't difficult for someone who wants to learn how to play poker to find out how, with google, twoplustwo, etc. Any player who really wants to conquer the game is probably eventually going to find twoplustwo and their books. On the other hand, mentioning it on an internet table probably wouldn't be devastating, simply because most "fish" don't really try to improve their poker game (afaik)--they see the game as a fun gamble, not an investment or something that can be conquered. I just wouldn't take the risk, though.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I would never say "two plus two" or "david sklansky" or anything else dangerous on an internet table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like saying Candyman in front of the mirror?

david sklansky, David Sklansky, DAVID SKLANSKY!!!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:21 AM

While I certainly wouldn't mention it in an aquarium, I have once recommended it to another player who I'd played against online quite regularly and got quite chatty with.
Since he was a decent player, and we had developed a mutual respect and cautiousness towards each other, I didn't see it as a problem. I didn't reveal anything until we agreed on a meaninglessly low stakes heads-up tournament so we could have a private chat.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:01 AM

friends only.

anyone mentioning books/stratagey/this forum at the tables is an utter moron.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Online? NEVER.

A friend? yes.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:34 PM

You seem to be implying you can't have online friends....
Old 01-17-2005, 01:35 PM

I voted no on the poll, but there's more to the answer.

I would never try to improve someone's play AT THE TABLE.
If someone asked me any other time, I'd be happy to tell them how to get better - just not at the table. I don't really want anyone at the table to think I've ever read a book!

That reminds me of a story...
I was playing a STT on Party when a player said something about "Doyle".

I said "Who's Doyle?"
He replied "BRUNSON!!!"
About 15 seconds later I said "Just kidding"
The guy said "I didn't know what to think..."

That's probably the most I've admitted to knowing while at the table.