Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Turn Checkraise at Bellagio

I'd like the turn check-raise attempt if you had a slightly higher pair. On this board, she could easily have called this flop with a hand like T9 which as 6 pair outs against you, along with any other straight draw outs. She would love a free card (though whether she takes it or not is debatable). If your hand was JJ, that T9 won't have those outs against you, so giving that free card once in awhile makes little difference and will likely gain you a bet when she makes a pair.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:36 PM

PREFLOP: I really dislike your raise in this situation as 77s do not play well out of position against 2 or 3 opponents, you are much better off minimizing your investment in this situaton by just calling. I know your opponents are loose, but I still do not think this changes your hand to a raise, calling here is the best move IMO.

FLOP: Standard.

TURN: I really hate your checkraise here, you have a vulnerable hand that is not gonna like too many river cards, she could easily check behind here, the risk to reward ratio of the checkraise play is too high here, betting and hoping she folds makes more sense for this situation. If you had AK on an A724 board, then I like the checkraise since a free card is unlikely to hurt you. You do not have the right hand, nor the right board, or even the right opponent to make this play here. She is the wrong opponent becuz based on your description, she will never fold a better hand, which is the only thing good this checkraise may accomplish, but this wont happen against her. I understand that you are simply trying to get more money in the pot with the probable best hand, but this play is just too risky. She could easily check behind which would be a nightmare, or you could get 3 bet by a better hand which would also be a nightmare. Being out of position you need to stay in control of this hand and bet the turn and pray she folds if she has two overcards.

RIVER: Given the way you played your hand, this would be easy fold if she raises. Against this opponent bet/fold is the standard line IMO with your hand on this board and the action that preceded the river.

Overall I do not like the way you played this hand Jeff.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:45 PM

Showing the table that you're capable of this turn check-raise is a major plus that you ignored. Still I agree that his hand is too vulnerable to try it in this situation.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: RESULTS and Thoughts

Im surprised she didnt 3-bet from the BB preflop.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Showing the table that you're capable of this turn check-raise is a major plus that you ignored. Still I agree that his hand is too vulnerable to try it in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did ignore this fact, and I will continue to ignore it in the future. Betting this turn and forcing any 5 outer to call incorrectly, or hoping any 6 outer or 109 will fold incorrectly is more important to me than showing imagination in this spot.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:14 AM

I just call preflop, but I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] postflop. The turn c-r is gorgeous.

Will
Old 12-18-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: RESULTS and Thoughts

[ QUOTE ]
My opponent call and tabled pocket tens; her hand was good. I still like how I played the hand though for reasons listed above. She did consider laying the tens down on the turn and I think if the river is a big picture or ace, she would lay down to my continuation bet the vast majority of the time. On the river, if she has A6s or 55 or whatever and got there, she prob will check behind if I check. But she will call with these hands at that point. So I think the river raise has value, esp. if I'm willing to fold to a raise as I am against this opponent.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think betting or check raising an ace/king turn is a good line vs a somewhat solid person who called the flop? This flop is super super dry. Anytime this gets to the turn they have have either a PP or 2 big overs. Everytime I've tried stuff like this it never works. People will overdefend in BvB, I dont think she folds her higher PP because your hand sure doesn't look like an ace unless it's a 2p ace. i don't think they laydown a bigger pp on the turn very often and they always have that or the ace.

I almost always check/fold in that spot, maybe I'm missing something.

Then again maybe people do fold when playin live.