Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Blumpkin Told Me To Post This 75 Hand - Enormous Pot

Ok, 75-150 and this was a pretty interesting hand. I wasn't gonna post it, but the Blumper talked me into it. Good action game. Very loose player completes with an ace up (one ace dead). Folded to me with (Q,5) Q and I go ahead and hit it one more time. Guy next to act coldcalls 150 with a jack up (jacks are live). He is a decent player but is getting buried in this game and has gone in a number of times. He's got chips in front of him for this hand though. Anyway, folded back to the ace who reraises to 225. I curse myself and call, and the guy with the jack now caps. So I'm thinking he's rolled. Great. We both call.

4th Street

Villian A: (x,x) A 2

Hero: (Q,5) Q Q

Villian B: (x,x) J 9

Well, looky here, I caught my miracle card. I go ahead and bet 150 and both call.

5th Street

Villian A: (x,x) A 2 3

Hero: (Q,5) Q Q 7

Villian B: (x,x) J 9 10

I bet, both call.

6th Street

Villian A: (x,x) A 2 3 4

Hero: (Q,5) Q Q 7 2

Villian B: (x,x) J 9 10 Q

I could have used that queen. Arg, this is a tough spot with me opening the betting. But I bet 150. Both call.

Let's plan for the river. What is our plan if we improve? What about if we don't? Any other streets are up for grabs too (partic 6th). But on the river, if we boat, we bet I assume. What about if not?

This may or may not be interesting...

Jeff
Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Blumpkin Told Me To Post This 75 Hand - Enormous Pot

If I bet 6th without much hesitation...I auto bet 7th w/o looking at my river card.

If I hesisitated on 6th, I hesitate, look at my card, and bet.

It will be hard for the A234 to raise you with a higher possible straight and you behind. You just have to hope you don't get raised by the 9TJQ. Anyway, if 9TJQ really did have rolled Jacks, which it sounds like he could have, you don't have to worry too much. Yeah he has lots of outs, but he might not raise hit straight outs...might.

I bet because I couldn't make the fold. I also think your "bet, raise, 2-back to you scenario might happen here"
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 PM

I think you are giving away a lot of value if you do not bet 6th. Even if you do happen to be behind you have a lot of outs to improve.

I cant see myself folding this hand to a raise if I don't fill up so I would advocate check/calling if you don't improve.

If you do fill up then bet and hope to 3 bet.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:39 PM

It seems betting out UI is right. It'd be helpful to know some of the dead cards... any 8's or K's dead? But anyways, I think he's unlikely to raise even with J's full, since he will probably drive out the overcall and face a 3-bet if you have Q's full. But it depends on the opponent, I guess.

So, unless the opponent's style gives me a reason to do otherwise, I'd bet out without checking the river card.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:49 PM

I think you should bet the river because with such a big pot, people tend to play much more passively on the end. Also, the fact that you are betting into 2 scary boards will make your opponents think you are full. If you check it then they will certainly bet a straight and you have to call. But if they have aces up or 3 jacks or something they might just check behind you and you'll lose a bet. If you get raised in this spot you should be able to get away from this hand unless your opponents are super tricky.

If you fill the river check raising is an option, but i'd prefer to bet because aces up or even trips will probably check behind you.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It will be hard for the A234 to raise you with a higher possible straight and you behind. You just have to hope you don't get raised by the 9TJQ. Anyway, if 9TJQ really did have rolled Jacks, which it sounds like he could have, you don't have to worry too much. Yeah he has lots of outs, but he might not raise hit straight outs...might.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is well put. IMO opinion you should be betting 7th here regardless of if you improve or not.

Mike Emery
Old 12-05-2005, 01:06 AM

Arguments could be made for betting no matter what. On the other hand, one could argue that Jeff should checkraise no matter what.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:25 AM

if you get raise unimproved?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 AM

Default New info to pass on.....

[ QUOTE ]
I could have used that queen. Arg, this is a tough spot with me opening the betting. But I bet 150. Both call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a cake bet here on sixth. The only way I see you're behind is if villain 1 has precisely (A 5) A. Pocket kings for player B, while possible I suppose, is still unlikely.

Now for the cool new info I just discovered......

*As an interesting sidenote I just was reading "The art of spelling", by Marilyn Vos Savant. This is the woman who writes for Parade magazine and to my knowledge still holds the record for the highest IQ ever at 223. I found it pretty cool how the book opened up with a story about a man who got "villian" tattooed on his arm. Later on a friend pointed out that the word villian was spelled villain. This made me laugh because I spell this word incorrectly every single day on here along with every other 2+2er who spells villain "villian". But Jeff.......shame on you, dont you write for a living? At least I have an excuse in that my degree is in business. How have we all been spelling this word wrong for so long? Not that I give a shiit, I just think its amusing. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mike Emery
Old 12-05-2005, 03:24 AM

I'd like to hear the argument for check-raising no matter what.Could you explain please?