Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Barry Greenstein

I just wanted to remind you of Barry Greenstein, a poker pro who shows us you can always do something "positive" with money if you believe you are doing something "unethical" or just realize that a single human being doesn't need so much money.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Is Playing Poker Professionally Ethical?

If being a poker player is not ethical because its a zero sum game, therefore being a soccer player (let's say an unsucsessful one), is also not ethical (being a successfull one would inply having spectators, going on tv, being considered an entertainer.)

Any athlete who does not entertain is exactly the same as a poker player.

And any poker player who apperas on TV is no different than performer/actor.
Phil Hellmuth and Jerry seinfeld are on the same ballpark.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:36 AM

Oh, and mother teresa was a crook.

See penn and tellers bullshit episode on season 3 about her and her schemes.
Old 09-24-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. They really discovered Mother Teresa's dirty little secret that instead of spending every dime on food and medical care, she wasted some donations on building new convents to house nuns who would live in spartan conditions while dedicating their lives to caring for the poorest of the poor in society when most others just walk on by and do nothing. Yeah. She was a real fraud.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:33 PM

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." — Ambrose Bierce
Old 09-24-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She never gave money to the poor. She used money to open up churches wich beared her name. All she cared about was expanding her franchise. How do you think she got so famous in the first place, im sure lots of people are much more caring/devoted as she was but never get to become famous. WHY? because the don't put as much efort into becoming famous as she did. She never missed an oportunity to appear on TV, etc.

Oh, and she recieved donations from mafia families that run dictatorships on some countries of the carribean (dont remember wich). She had large conections with the underworld.

Now the mother teresa empire is so large, people have to believe she was a saint. its called indoctrination, and the church is master at it.
Yeah. They really discovered Mother Teresa's dirty little secret that instead of spending every dime on food and medical care, she wasted some donations on building new convents to house nuns who would live in spartan conditions while dedicating their lives to caring for the poorest of the poor in society when most others just walk on by and do nothing. Yeah. She was a real fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-24-2005, 02:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
See penn and tellers bullshit episode

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2005, 05:55 PM

I see poker as being entertainment, really. And professional poker players are like ticket scalpers, making a profit by charging others a higher price to pay to play (ie: they wouldn't lose as much money, if they were only playing against amateurs). That being said, I don't think it's wrong, as long as everyone is being honest about it. I've bought tickets for more than the sale price, because I really wanted to see the show. And, I've also sold some when I knew it was sold out, and people were paying a premium for the tickets. So, yeah... it's all good. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]