Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Did i play this right

Background: 20 dollar tourney on stars. 700 or so entries. down to 27 people. Blinds are at 2k,4k . I have about 50k. Average is about 25k.

i get dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in first position next to the blind. I double the blind because I was afraid i might get re-raised? Do i Fold here? Just call? Raise more? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Everyone folds except the guy next to the small blind. Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I'm first to act. I push. he calls. he has J 10 not suited.

I lose, and bust out 27th. I was just wondering what some of you guys think. Should i have raised more? Just folded? Go all in? After flop play?

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Did i play this right

You haven't mentioned the table conditions in your post or anyone elses stack size but yours.

What type of playes is the Button? Tight, weak, or loose? You need to post more information if you want people to help you out.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You haven't mentioned the table conditions in your post or anyone elses stack size but yours.

What type of playes is the Button? Tight, weak, or loose? You need to post more information if you want people to help you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The button had a little more than me. Basically even. He was playing pretty tight. The whole table was pretty tight that it was almost at the point of all-in or fold.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:20 PM

I don't mind the min raise.

Come the flop I bet a little less then half the pot (about 10K) and hope to pick the pot up rght away. If the villian calls I check/fold the turn.

Pushing is a bad play imo because you're risking your enitre tournament on a hand that could very well be behind (which it was). Also, you are in good position with only 27 people left to sit back and wait for a better situation and still be over the average stack.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:58 PM

If you want to play the hand, you need to make your standard opening raise so your opponents can't put you on a hand. If you get reraised you can always throw your hand away. You just don't want to vary your raises too much or a good opponent will pick up on it.

AJs is not a hand you want to get too froggy with from UTG. I would almost view your raise as an UTG steal and hope you don't get called.

When that flop comes down I hate the push. You bet 42K chips into a pot that has like 23K in it. Chances are you would only get called when you're beat unless he had a really short stack and was already pot comitted preflop.

I think a bet of 1/2 tto 2/3 the pot will let you know where you stand and leave you enough chips to play if you have to fold to a reraise.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:18 PM

Dont like the push at all.

Bet ~1/2-2/3 of the pot on the flop, fold if reraised. If called check and fold to a turn bet.