Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 01:15 AM

Default Help me with THIS rebuy tourney!!!

NL Tourney. Blinds go up fairly fast, although at the beginning stack size is 60BB - and you can rebuy to 120 immediately.

But here's the biggest strategy question I have. The buyin is 20 bucks, but all the rebuys are only $10...wouldn't that mean that I should routinely be taking 40%vs.60% shots to double up? Moving in with flush draws (I know that isn't 40%, but you might have other outs, or the other guy might fold) seems obvious...what are other strategy adjustments? Play ultra loose to build my stack, or even maniacally?
Old 12-05-2004, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Help me with THIS rebuy tourney!!!

While Ive never played a rebuy where the rebuys are less then the initial buy in, I do frequently play rebuys tournies.

One key element in playing them properly is being properly bankrolled for them.

That said, I often play somewhat like u way, ultra lose. For example I will certainly be willing to play hands like T9s into multiway PF all in pots(which seem to happen often, at least at lower buy in rebuys).

That isnt to say that u cant have success playing TAG poker during the rebuy period, but I prefer to risk a few buy ins for the shot at a double/triple/quadruple up.

Once that is acomplished then the strategy changes a bit(at least for me), ill tighten up a bit so that u dont get stuck in that gray zone of not being short enough to rebuy but not near a full double buy stack.

Another tactic that Ill often use online(dont think it can be done live), is if only one or two players start with a double rebuy I wont even bother, but rather once I end up all in, or involved in a hand that I really think I will win, I rebuy before the hand is over. For example if I go all in with AA PF, and get several callers, I will rebuy right away(if under the amount), then if u win u get the extra rebuy added to ur stack. For instance on the stars 10 rebuy u start with 1500, if I get all in with one other playr while at or below 1500 and rebuy before the hand is over then if I win I will have 4500 instead of 3000.

Hope this helps a bit,
Evan
Old 12-05-2004, 02:53 AM

Default Re: Help me with THIS rebuy tourney!!!

it's one way to play it, yes. I prefer larger edges but there can be value in the approach.