Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Call Now to Prompt Release Later

Mildly interesting spot in the 75 game. I have (10,10) 7. A deuce brings it in, a 5 calls, a jack calls (two other jacks folded) and I take it upstairs. The 5 and the Jack calls.

4th Street
Villian: (x,x) J J

Me: (10,10) 7 9

Donk: (x,x) 5 8

Villian bets 150 and I call. Donk folds. I called for a number of reasons besides the obvious (that jacks are dead). Basically this player is capable of limping with MANY hands on 3rd that don't include a pair and he would always bet the full 150 on 4th here. He is also a player that has a fatal flaw...he likes to make "smart" laydowns, particularly on 6th and 7th in huge pots when he believes he's beat. He is probably correct that he's beat but he often makes what seems like big laydowns in big pots.

Anyway, 5th street...

Villian: (x,x) J J 5

Me: (10,10) 7 9 Q

Villian checks, I bet and he folds. Now, I don't know if this is interesting at all because it's pretty read specific. But I found it neat b/c it was (as SM&Z would say) against an opponent who I had good control so I basically knew by calling I would take the pot from him on 5th with a worse hand. Very few opponents I could be as certain against. Anyway, might not have much discussion value but I thought I'd share. Comments appreciated.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: Call Now to Prompt Release Later

Works well since it's fifth street in a big game. I like the play, but for most middle-limit and low-limit players on this forum (which are the majority of the posters), this is clearly fancy play syndrome.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:20 PM

Interesting hand.

I think this is decent play for a few reasons.
-You actually have a plan when you call
-You might actually not be too far behind (JJ vs TT) isn't too bad
-Your 3rd street comp allows you to represent a better hand than you have

The only thing that I'd be concerned about was my opponents ability to release 2-pair. If he couldn't do this then I'd be less likely to make this move. It would suck to have him put you on something like pocket KK and then decide to call down as long as you don't make a 2nd pair. But even here you might make a winner out of a loser (if he thinks your TT77 is AA77).

So it's not too bad.

P.S. Isn't it nice when you get a brainwave to do something out of the ordinary because you "know" it will work...and then it does work.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:51 PM

This is a fine play to use it once in a while, especially against a decent player who prides him/herself on laydowns. I prefer it against open aces, or to a lesser degree kings, because you can't have a lone over-pair in the pocket. When the person bets the (XX)AA, they are simply expecting to take the pot down, and are mentally done with the hand. When any of your chips go into the pot with rags showing, you are screaming set.

The last time I raised the open aces, I had (99)77, and there was another 7 that came out on 4th. The aces bet, a donk called and the aces released on my 'obvious' set when I raised.

The best part of the whole hand was when we went to show the hands, and the 'pro' who folded the aces announced to the table, 'three sevens at least' and I showed the 9s up.

He picked up and left the table two hands later.

I caution anyone trying this, you must know your opponent very, very well.

A fine play Jeffage, and a nice lesson in the subtleties of the great game of poker.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:01 AM

I like it but I don't.

What's awesome: You read your player like a book. Just awesome.

What's not:

1.) I think it may be results oriented.

2.) I hope it doesn't make internet players on this forum try and make this play.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2.) I hope it doesn't make internet players on this forum try and make this play.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was never my intention...I said it might not be that interesting bc it was very read specific. I just thought it was interesting...definitely only something I'm attempting in live play with a read. Also, I don't think it's results oriented; just a spot where I saw a weak player who thinks he's smarter than he is make an ABC play on 4th after a loose call on 3rd and I could see him folding to my 5th bet before he did. It was a unique spot pretty much only applicable to live poker against opponents over whom you have good control. If he had called, I was still posting this hand...that much I do promise. I've posted plenty of plays on this board that I liked but didn't work out...just check the hold em boards.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2005, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That was never my intention...I said it might not be that interesting bc it was very read specific. I just thought it was interesting...definitely only something I'm attempting in live play with a read. Also, I don't think it's results oriented; just a spot where I saw a weak player who thinks he's smarter than he is make an ABC play on 4th after a loose call on 3rd and I could see him folding to my 5th bet before he did. It was a unique spot pretty much only applicable to live poker against opponents over whom you have good control. If he had called, I was still posting this hand...that much I do promise. I've posted plenty of plays on this board that I liked but didn't work out...just check the hold em boards.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

uhmmm, dude, i think you know I feel about your posts . I'm just a low limit whiner about bad beats, but at least I know that. *** God damnit, I have to edit this**** What I mean when I say that is I recognize you're like 500 times the player I am.

I guess I just wanted to reaffirm a point that you already made, "Don't try this at home.."

And, oh yeah, I do read your posts in other forums. I don't read all of them, but I like reading them.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:50 AM

This play is something I would never even think to try. Nice read on your opponent.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:06 AM

This is a play I've actually thought of. I do like it, and you've obviously picked the right opponent. I just can't think of anyone I've played against whom I think it would work on.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:35 AM

I have seen this type of play discussed on the holdem side & if I'm not mistaken, it's called a "float play". This was very nicely done,imho. It's not a pure float, because you had a good chance to end up with the best hand if the float didn't work because of the deadness of his hand.