Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 01:41 PM

Default I\'m Not Good Enough

Later this evening, I plan on posting a detailed 100K+ hand stat checkup. The reason I plan on doing this is to try and determine whether there is something in my stats that is just "off". Over the 100K hands (spanning approximately 6 months), my collective BB/100 at 15/30, 20/40 and 30/60 is at approximately .80. I'm not happy with this figure -- especially considering how much I read/study the game (by the way, I think I would say about .20 is based on tilting-type behavior, which is just an estimate and clearly fixable).

I suspect that there is nothing in my stats that will reveal a .70 or greater deficiency in my game (I think 1.5 seems like a good goal to shoot for). Thus, although there may be some value in posting these stats, what I really believe is that there are some non-stat specific leaks in my game. The question is: how do I fix this? I think the best way I could do this would be for me to share my hand histories over a specified period with a few of you and then come to a general consensus about whats wrong. The problem with this concept is obvious -- I would never ask or expect anyone to do that. Maybe what I'm searching for is a coach or coaches who will do this for a fee. Some others have done this -- but I don't know where to start. I actually sent Ciaffone an email to find out what his rates were, but I didn't like the manner in which he planned on coaching me. Basically, he said he wants me to pick out specific hands and send him histories of those hands and explain to him my thinking. This won't work in my view because I need someone to look at my "whole" game -- not just unique (and likely marginal) situations. It seems I could get the same thing he's offering by positng hands here.

Anyone here have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: I\'m Not Good Enough

I know that JoeTall and James082 have offered a service like this in the past for a very fair price (read cheap). It couldn't hurt to PM them.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that JoeTall and James082 have offered a service like this in the past for a very fair price (read cheap). It couldn't hurt to PM them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks and I will PM them now.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, he said he wants me to pick out specific hands and send him histories of those hands and explain to him my thinking. This won't work in my view because I need someone to look at my "whole" game -- not just unique (and likely marginal) situations. It seems I could get the same thing he's offering by positng hands here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I agree. It's one of the reasons I don't post as many hands as I should. When I post, I like to find fun, interesting hands. But those are usually the rare situations. It's the boring, common, mundane hands where some of the most costly leaks hide, simply because you get the chance to make those mistakes so often.

I've heard Joe Tall is a great coach.

I don't think James coaches anymore.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:55 PM

Yes I heard the same about James and have emailed Joe Tall. I also am talking to Nightwish.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

james is no longer coaching. and he's MIA...

-Barron
Old 08-02-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron, any chance you'd do it?
Toast
Old 08-02-2005, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron, any chance you'd do it?
Toast

[/ QUOTE ]

if you find james i'll consider it...he's seriously lost somewhere or out w/ the girl indefinately. either way, he's not returning phone calls and hasn't played/posted in damn near 3 months.

seriously though, i'd do a session or two (i did one for another 2p2er who pmed me) but i dont want to be a full time coachy kinda guy. PM me and maybe we'll work something out...but i definately dont wanna be the full time kinda thing.

-Barron
Old 08-02-2005, 07:28 PM

www.joetall.com