Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2005, 12:16 AM

Default 10+1, My first post, Flame On?

UTG had been calling every third hand or so, and folding on the flop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) converter

CO (t355)
Button (t915)
SB (t540)
BB (t2010)
UTG (t1665)
MP1 (t1930)
Hero (t585)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t175</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises all-in</font> , <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG calls t410.

Flop: (t660) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t660) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t660) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t660
Old 08-18-2005, 12:27 AM

Default Re: 10+1, My first post, Flame On?

meh....right at the push point. sucks you have to do it over an EP raise, but this might be "thee" hand to die with. i'd take the probably coin-flip and let it rip [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-18-2005, 12:38 AM

When do the blinds go up? If they go up relatively soon, this would be a spot where I would be happy to gamble.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

meh....right at the push point. sucks you have to do it over an EP raise . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
UTG had been calling every third hand or so, and folding on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This last bit does not strike me as the play of a player who is knowledgable about position. While his tendency to limp with tons of hands suggests he might have a stronger holding this time (he's actually raising), his looseness suggests to me that 99 is plenty of hand to go to war with here.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:55 AM

Tough one - I'd say it's time to take a stand, though -- sounds like your villain isn't necessarily the greatest player and you have JUST over 10xBB. Probably a good play.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:09 AM

I'll probably be the only one to say this, but I actually do not like the play.

Here's why: First off, I think we all agree that you have almost zero FE since villain is getting 2:1 to call. He's been limping alot, now suddenly he's raising 3.5 X BB from UTG. Unless he's somebody who raises more with his weak hands (which seems unlikely given his limping tendencies), you've got to give him credit for two overs at worst and a more than usual chance of having a higher PP. (Because of the sudden raise.)

You have just under 12 BB and I believe that you can afford to be a little patient here. I fold this and it's really not that close in my mind. You're just one double up away from getting right back into it. I'd rather be first into a pot pushing with a later hand.

I can't stress enough that I see people taking stands and getting desperate far too early in these tournaments when it's really not necessary. This is a classic example IMO.

BTW, in the future, there's really no reason to post what cards flopped since you are posting a pre-flop decision.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, in the future, there's really no reason to post what cards flopped since you are posting a pre-flop decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry about that, besides a few aesthetics I basically just cut and paste. I'll keep it more relevant next time.

Thanks for all the responses.

As for the "too early" argument, it's true, and I almost folded simply because I had plenty of time, but I wasn't confident if folding had the largest expectation.
Old 08-18-2005, 03:08 AM

FWIW, I have found that at the lower levels, an UTG raise (or out of position for that matter) deserve respect. It usually means a decent hand, especially if they are mid-stack and have very little to gain by taking a large gamble because the larger stacks can take them out.

99 might be a hand that you could push with in position given the level and your stack size, (on the button folded around to you) but not something that I would call with in this spot.

Welcome to the forum!