Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 06:43 PM

Default WPT Boycott

New to posting on these boards, but anyway, I heard Phil Gordon on Mancow (a Chicago morning show syndicated nationally) talking about how many pro's are boycotting the WPT this year b/c they do not allow you to wear logo's at the final table. His reasoning behind the boycott is "the players are losing a lot of money" (since they can not wear the logos). When I heard this I lost all the respect that I never had for this guy. I would like to know what other "big name" pro's are boycotting the WPT b/c of this absurd reason. Anyone else hear about this or have any more information on this?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: WPT Boycott

you are allowed to wear logos now, search for WPT in google news
Old 08-24-2005, 06:51 PM

WPT News release

Barry Schulman's Inside Scoop
Old 08-24-2005, 06:53 PM

Andy Bloch was talking about a possible boycot about a month or so ago on Full Tilt. Entry fee's to play in these tourments year round start to take a toll.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:58 PM

You could throw in almost anyone involved with agent Brian Balsbaugh as part of the boycott. As long as the event isn't in Vegas (and without logos) those pros won't be showing up. Maybe the drop from 205 to 160 at the Paris event finally woke up the WPT.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:58 PM

Well, the interview was yesterday morning and I see that they released that news about the logos yesterday afternoon. You can hear a clip from the interview at http://www.xtrasportsradio.com/main.html
about half way down the page. It doesnt have any comments about the WPT in the clip.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 PM

Honestly it's freaking rediculous. Every major sports player has a sponsor of some sort. Be it Jordan wearing his patented Nike shoes, Jeff Gordon and his Pepsi logo all over his car, or Tony Hawk being sponsored by Birdhouse. Give it a rest WPT. Being sponsored or endorsed is a major reason poker players play tournaments in the first place, and is a goal of many amatuer players. If the pros aren't playing, I'm not watching.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
New to posting on these boards, but anyway, I heard Phil Gordon on Mancow (a Chicago morning show syndicated nationally) talking about how many pro's are boycotting the WPT this year b/c they do not allow you to wear logo's at the final table. His reasoning behind the boycott is "the players are losing a lot of money" (since they can not wear the logos). When I heard this I lost all the respect that I never had for this guy. I would like to know what other "big name" pro's are boycotting the WPT b/c of this absurd reason. Anyone else hear about this or have any more information on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

stop listening to mancow. don't you know he's on the f@cko list?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:53 PM

Let me guess. Amongst your other enlightened opinions, you believe that unions are ruining america and that women shouldn't be able to vote. Go kill yourself.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM

I wasn't aware that the Paris event had dropped...but wasn't this one right after the WSOP in Vegas (as opposed to the previous year when it wasn't).
And wasn't there some other lengthy poker deal going on in LA at the Bike at about the same time as the Paris event?

We're getting pretty saturated with all these poker events out there...so I'm not surprised at all that WPT Paris didn't do so hot.