Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 05:06 PM

Default Someone owes me money

I've known a guy, "Adam" for about 8 months. He introduced me to the underground Toronto poker scene and basically has been fully prepared to front me money, upwards of $1500, to play. I have always been punctual about paying him back. We have a cordial relationship, he's helped me with my game, I've done the same with him.

One day, he asked to borrow, on behalf of someone else, "Jimmy", I barely know, a significant sum of money to help get him back on his feet after. It wasn't life-changing, as my bankroll was healthy at the time (and still is), but $5000 is significant and I do want it back. Adam vouched for Jimmy, who is apparently loaded but fallen on hard times, and promised to back the loan.

Jimmy drives a Mercedes SL500.

I've asked a couple times over the last 3 months and have always received an excuse... early on, when the loan hadn't been paid, he put me into a couple large tournaments at $250 a pop.

5 months have passed.

"We're waiting for an investment to come through."
"Jimmy owes other people as well and is remortgaging his house at the beginning of may"

I've confronted Jimmy, who has recently opened his own poker room. He gave me his phone number, and promised to have the money ready for me tonight.

I've called him today, he hasn't picked up the phone and has no answering machine.

Other things:

A good friend is helping Jimmy start up this room.

The original friend is a tournament director who basically runs every tournament in the city, tournaments I've been to and would like to go to again. Jimmy is also a member of the Italian community in Toronto. I don't know if that's in fact significant or not, but it might be.

I have a friend, "Peter", who is a pimp. like, a real live pimp. he's a good guy. however, he has a friend, "Greg" who basically handles all of his "loans". This ain't playin around. Greg has offered to help me recall the loan using whatever means I allow or prohibit.

My current plan is to show up tonight to Jimmy's club and if I'm not paid back, to give Greg a call, with the stipulation that he is not permitted to do anything that will get me or him in trouble with the law (Jimmy, of course, doesn't need to know that stipulation).

Any better suggestions?

Am I better off going after Adam?

I don't intend to lend $ this big ever again, that's for sure.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Someone owes me money

I would be prepared to let it go before using your friend's "resources."
Old 05-09-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if I forbid him from doing anything violent that will endanger anyone's life?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:13 PM

screw that. you got ways to make this guy feel some pressure, use them. if he doesnt plan on paying you back he is treating you like a punk.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

Even if I forbid him from doing anything violent that will endanger anyone's life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Having a known "thug" intimidate someone can get sketchy. If the money isn't a big deal (obviously alot, but if you can deal with it) it might be better to just continue the pestering. It just dpends how you wanna play it.

Somehow figuring out a way for it to be communicated that this guy is ready to "help" you out seems like the best/least troublesome solution.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:18 PM

Have "Greg" kill "Jimmy's" dog. Call it even.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:28 PM

step 1: watch three o'clock high.

step 2: reconsider plan to use the other guy for intimidation. if jimmy really is a member of the italian community, you might be in over your head trying to get some pimp's thug to get your money for you. also, isn't the pimp and/or thug going to want compensation for the "services?"

if you let jimmy, a member of the italian community, skate on the $5000 for a while, will he look upon it as a favor? maybe having him owe you a favor for a while will be worth the $5000.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:30 PM

Man... underground poker scene...italian community...loan sharks, pimps, Mercedes SL500. Your life is so much more interesting than mine.

Where can I get a refund?

KoW
Old 05-09-2005, 05:31 PM

if you let jimmy, a member of the italian community, skate on the $5000 for a while, will he look upon it as a favor? maybe having him owe you a favor for a while will be worth the $5000.

I've thought about this.

One option is to play at his club without staking any of my own cash. i.e. buy in "on the sheet" and cash out for the full amount, charging the difference against the loan.

Seems a bit pussy to me though.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've thought about this.

One option is to play at his club without staking any of my own cash. i.e. buy in "on the sheet" and cash out for the full amount, charging the difference against the loan.

Seems a bit pussy to me though.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah there's no way i'd do this without his explicit ok. you can bet that he has other backers/partners in the club, and they will not be amused when you explain that jimmy owes you money so it's ok for you to just charge it to their investment.