Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Flopped nuts - really stupid play - or very unlucky?

I'm leaning towards really stupid....

Villain is pretty solid - but is a table coach - he is ripping into other players and laughing at their plays - and calling out their hands (he hasn't got one right yet - at least for me) - this doesn't bother me - I can give as good as I get - and I tend to stick up for other players as I want the fish to come back and play some more in the long run...

I've been looking for a hand to flatten him with - so have been limping hands like Ax suited and PP - and calling up to 4BB PF (especially if Villain was the PF raiser) hoping sooner or later to catch a hand and bring him down to size....

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG+1 ($49.50)
UTG+2 ($47.75)
MP1 ($71.25)
Hero ($80.71)
MP3 ($34.37)
CO (Villain)/ ($73.55)
Button ($115.98)
SB ($36.12)
BB ($141.40)
UTG ($50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.50, MP3 calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">CO (Villain)/ raises to $2</font>, Button calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $1.50, MP3 calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $3</font>, Button calls $3, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, MP3 calls $6, Villain calls $3, Button calls $3.

Turn: ($32.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $10</font>, Button calls $10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??? </font>

If I was to play this hand over I think I'd C/R much more on the flop - I went for speed and the insta-raise... Yes I really was so excited about flopping a nut flush AND having Villain bet against me that I forgot to read the boad properly...

comments , criticism and general flames to the usual address.....

MA.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Flopped nuts - really stupid play - or very unlucky?

lead the flop. my initial bet would have been bigger than what your check-raise was...if the PF raiser has a premium hand, then you'll almost certainly be able to get it in on the flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Min-raise is bad, lead flop.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 AM

lead out on the flop for $6. You're worried that villian has the SF? I go broke with the nutflush here...sorry the villian had Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 AM

1) Raise or fold pre-flop. In your situation, I generally raise.

2) Lead the flop to make it look like a semi-bluff with the bare A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

3) As played, push the turn.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't notice the 4 card straight flush on the board. With the bet and caller in there, I just call here, throw in a blocking bet on the river.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 AM

Lead flop. You should have check/raised to atleast 12 on the flop. It's interesting to consider what button would play this way. He probably has two pair or a Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and I doubt he'll fold if you check/raise again on the turn. I would keep things simple and lead the turn.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't notice the 4 card straight flush on the board. With the bet and caller in there, I just call here, throw in a blocking bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

me neither....
Old 11-21-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lead the flop. my initial bet would have been bigger than what your check-raise was...if the PF raiser has a premium hand, then you'll almost certainly be able to get it in on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I wasn't trying to bust out Villain with my hand I would have lead the flop as per normal....
(note to self - stop trying to be clever - cos you're not)

I don't see why a c/r on this flop is bad tho - Villain is way behind - he showed aggression PF and is almost bound to bet. My minraise was very bad. If I had been thinking clearly I would have at least tripled - more likely quadrupled his flop raise. My plan was to give him enough rope to hang himself and then drop the hammer...

If I lead the flop the most I am likely to get from Villain is a call - I have a TAG image and I thought that a large flop bet would chase out the opposition and I'd miss my chance of stacking this Villain.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:32 AM

Turn: ($32.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villain bets $10</font>, Button calls $10, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, MP3 folds, Villain calls $55.55 (All-In), Button folds, Hero ???

how much more information do I need to tell me Villain has me beat?

Is a fold possible here? - or now that I have hung myself with my own rope am I practically obliged to call?
Old 11-21-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...or now that I have hung myself with my own rope am I practically obliged to call?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes you are... Because of the pot odds, just say "nh" in the chat and call and play the hand better next time the same situation arises.