Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Anyone here work in consulting?

I hope you are aware of the hours per week that you will be working. If not, make sure to get an honest description from some current D&T employees.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 PM

Remember there is a big differenc in hours worked per week and billable hours.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope you are aware of the hours per week that you will be working. If not, make sure to get an honest description from some current D&T employees.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what Ive heard, the work week is structured as on the road Mon-Thur, and in the office on Fri. They claim to pride themselves on giving employees more of a personal life than other firms, and hardly ever require any weekend work, but that could be all talk. The work hours are long, 55 a week or so and more around deadlines, but when youre on the road like that I guess theres not a whole lot else to be doing.

Im trying to find an honest analysis of it all from a D&Ter, friends of friends and stuff, but I was also hoping that I might get lucky an run into someone here.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:39 PM

I should also point out that I asked to be placed in a different office if possible (Bay Area) so I havent gotten any official offer paper yet and some of these answers may be in there. Im really just interested in a perspective past the BS they feed you during recruitment and all that.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They claim to pride themselves on giving employees more of a personal life than other firms, and hardly ever require any weekend work, but that could be all talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably interview at 10 other consulting firms and they would all say the same thing. It may or may not be true, but the only way to find out is ask blunt questions to people who work there. Ask the recruitment manager to give you the phone numbers of young people like you who work there and ask them probing questions.

Don't be shy, they are not going to rescind your offer unless you grab someones ass or something stupid like that.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did this for 1.5 yrs out of school. It is pretty fun travelling, being on expenses, and banging chicks on your project out of town. Then it gets pretty old. A lot of my friends enjoyed it for 3-4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm beginning year 3 and still loving it. Particularly banging chicks.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They claim to pride themselves on giving employees more of a personal life than other firms, and hardly ever require any weekend work, but that could be all talk.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably interview at 10 other consulting firms and they would all say the same thing. It may or may not be true, but the only way to find out is ask blunt questions to people who work there. Ask the recruitment manager to give you the phone numbers of young people like you who work there and ask them probing questions.

Don't be shy, they are not going to rescind your offer unless you grab someones ass or something stupid like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above. I worked as a consultant at Price Waterhouse for several years (before the merger with Coopers & Lybrand).

I was in a committed relationship with my then girlfriend so the out of town trips were bad, but the long hours were often worse. Also vacations were cancelled or postponed on short notice.(I suspect they dont do this sort of thing anymore because it pissed the employees off royally. I know from friends who are still there that they continue to work on improving quality of life and have made a lot of improvements).

Best way to get good answers is to go out to lunch with some of the junior people you would be working with by themselves and ask them direct questions. I did a lot of interviewing of college grads while I was there and would be honest with people when they asked questions. There is no sense lying to someone about how great everything is only to have them show up and become disillusioned in a month.

Anyway, as many will tell you, any of the Big Four are a "good place to be from" professionally. Future employers recognize the name and don't wonder why you went to work there (if you're into that sort of thing).

Overall I enjoyed my time at PW and I learned alot, but by the third year I learned it wasnt for me (I then went to grad school).

PM me if you want to chat about it.

Good luck.
AA
Old 11-04-2005, 09:56 PM

I worked at D&T LA and wanted to work entertainment so I left for PwC LA. I think it's a good place to learn about business and to be around smart people. I think the culture at D&T is a bit more social than the culture at PwC though. Having an expense account is cool and running through your expenses on your clients is great, but doing time & expense reports suck.

I say work for awhile at the Firm and then go to grad school. It would help your resume immensely. Or you can chase money and leave the firm to become a Controller or Manager at some client or other random Fortune 500.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:05 PM

Most employers have a commitement scale for tuition reimbursement.

Like 50% 12 months after graduation
75% 2 years after graduation, etc.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most employers have a commitement scale for tuition reimbursement.

Like 50% 12 months after graduation
75% 2 years after graduation, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably wouldnt qualify for this anyway since Im thinking more along the lines of a science PhD.

Also one question, I know its voluntary employment and I leave anytime, but are there consequences for doing so. Like some sort of inter-firm black list so if I back out on the deal Ill never work in the field again. Maybe sounds parinoid but my friends were discussing it. Also, in terms of a signing bonus, I would assume that there is a comittment needed there, again this will all be in the contract eventually Im sure, but just curious about whats standard.