Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 AM

Default Re: Super World Class Smart

[ QUOTE ]
but the truly smart ... are so able to grasp concepts the first time, it's scary. These people don't need background, because they can infer it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, and to think that's what I was going to say I was great at. My girlfriend likens me to Sherlock Holmes because I can deduce so much.

My favorite story was in March, we were in Singapore with her twin sister. I was in the bathroom, and I overheard sister say to gf "Hey, I have those, too".

I shouted "quit talking about _____ _____", and sister blew up...."Who the hell are you, and how the xxxx did you know that's what I was talking about?"

It's amazing how much a person can realize about the world if they are willing to put themselves in somebody elses shoes. This goes for card games too.

Josh
Old 10-12-2005, 03:37 AM

mastermind
Old 10-12-2005, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only in some very specialized endeavors do I consider myself super world class smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

The simple act of writing this sentence ensures you cannot be "super world class smart" in the realm of communication and/or composition. You could argue this would be a requirement for being "super world class smart" in and of itself, as communication is a fundamental litmus test.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:41 AM

I debate, some even call me the Master Debater.

Other than that, i can get off really quick.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:41 AM

My awesome natural reasoning power combined with years of hardcore training in front of a television have made me super world class smart at figuring out what has happened in parts of a movie or television show that I have missed. I can start watching a show in the middle and almost immediately explain who everybody is and what's going on.

Hmmm, is that a reflection on my skill or is it that television and movies are so predictable?

Anyway, I know I am super world class smart in this area because I can do this better than anybody I know. And I know, like, more than 8 people.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 PM

What a genius you are. I'm not Boris, and not close.

I didn't say that I wasn't good at deduction, and in most people's minds, I may be off the charts - it's just different with this guy. It's why he's going to win a Nobel Prize some time and I'm not. I'm serious about that. He really is the sharpest person that I've ever met.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:15 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose poker. Of course I guess you need to define world class.

[/ QUOTE ]

no definition is required. if the words 'world class' are used, regardless of how light the definition is i am sure that you do not qualify.

it is amazing what a fantasy world online poker players are living in.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 PM

Most of the time, the guys winning the Nobel prize didn't actually do any of the work or generate the majority of the ideas going into the project that won the Nobel Prize. What happens is the postdocs and graduate students in the lab come up with something and the head of the lab gets credit for it, since he/she is the one going around presenting the data. Yay academic research science.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a world class Sword of Vermilion player.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, talk about an obscure game. i definitely remember liking this one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

edit: wow, and Anacardo remembers it too.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:20 PM

My bills are all paid by people I never see who play with cards that aren't even real. I have made more in a single
day than I had ever seen in my entire previous life. You can see why I might live in a fantasy world.