Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 05:05 PM

Default NEW IDEA for ONLINE POKER CARD ROOMS

I had an idea that I'm sure a few others have thought about at some point or another in thier online poker lifetime. I sent the idea to the online poker room I ussually play at (Poker Stars) and they notified me that they recieved the idea and would send it to their development team. However, I have not heard back from them...

I was wondering what some of my fellow online poker players would think about the idea so here it goes...

In most online play I've seen, the hole cards that an individual is dealt is immediately shown face up on the screen; the thought I had was to allow the players to decide if they want their hole cards dealt face down first. This would allow the players to observe the action around the table before deciding what their own actions would be. Another part of I thought would be cool was if the other players around the table would be able to see a status bar of all the other players which would display whether or not each individual had seen his or her hole cards yet. That way if someone really wanted to go blind all in or something, they could do it and the other players would know he had truly seen his cards or not...

Any thoughts?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: NEW IDEA for ONLINE POKER CARD ROOMS

In the end this would just slow the game down.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Online poker is too fast pace anyways....people play 8 tables at a time and its annoying, and you get 60 seconds to think about a hand...thats hardly enough time

Why can't you observe the action of the players before you with your cards visible? The only reason that I know that this is useful in live games is so other players can't get a read on you before you act. But I don't get it for online poker, where you can't get a physical read.

at least IMO
Old 10-05-2005, 05:20 PM

I believe that your idea would be better if all players cards were dealt down and stayed down expect when the player looks at them (by pressing a "Peek" button). All players at the table would be able to see if a player is looking at her cards and for how long, and how often.

There is a site that does this but I'm not sure what it is. True Poker maybe?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:29 PM

This is stupid. And belongs in the zoo.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:58 PM

LOL... be nice.
I think the idea is fun, but not really something I would have need for or use, but then again everyone gets their "kick" from one thing or another, so I can see this being something someone would like using.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:43 PM

yes. true Poker does this.
You see little animations when a player is peeking at their cards.

I think it's an 'option' to just be looking at your cards the whole time which is obviously the option I take when I play there.

I think having a 'peek' option and the option to have your cards face-down is pretty dumb and pointless.
I have faith in pokerstars to never implement such an option that would almost certainly slow down the game if other players actually started using it.

However...to play devil's advocte -
If you had to option to just bet WITHOUT looking at your cards....AND your opponents would KNOW that you hadn't looked at your cards....then it could certainly lead to some brave, drunk fish just betting blindly without looking AND bragging about how they're not looking.
I do see some potential in the idea that some of the drunks would actually enjoy doing this and obviously could be exploited by most +EV players.

However...you don't have THAT many players who just 'bet blind' the whole way in live poker...and I suspect we wouldn't have it happen that frequently online either.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:46 PM

If they don't buy your idea, get a little "sticky" and put it on your screen. Just remember, DO NOT use White Out.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]