Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 07:13 PM

Default New Book To BUy?

Hi

I'm a half way decent poker hobbist. I love playing poker and I love playing it to win...I have read one texas holdem book entitled "The Intelligent Guide To Txs Holdem" and it helped me a decent amount with my game.

However, it was not completely the type of book I was looking for as 1/3 of the book was filled with obvious information for a player like me (ie What the rank of hands are and examples of them)

ANyways, I'm going to buy a book in like 1/2 hour and I was wondering if there is any reccomendations...I want to increase my skill in ring games and also in tournys because I have been finishing on the bubble alot...

Thanks guys
Old 08-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: New Book To BUy?

Anything with the name David Sklansky or Mason Malmuth on it. To be more specific if you are a player that knows the basics i would probably recommend small stakes holdem or Hold'em poker for advanced players. You can read like excerpts of it on this website. If you are more like a beginner then you should either go with play poker like the pros or super system. Lastly if you want to read something about tournament then maybe you should go with harrington on hold'em. In closing I would say that anything by two plus two plubishing is usually worth the price
Old 08-22-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are more like a beginner then you should either go with play poker like the pros or super system.

[/ QUOTE ]
lord no, do not buy these books for limit hold em. Hellmuth's top ten hands strategy is an absolute joke and while Baldwin's LHE chapter is a classic read, it's well outdated now.

OP mentioned he wanted to improve both his ring game and tourney skills, though there really isn't a perfect end-all book which covers both. for NL cash, Getting Started In Hold Em (Ed Miller) and Harrington On Hold Em Vol. 1 (Dan Harrington) are good starters. fixed limit, I like Small Stakes Hold Em (Ed Miller) and Internet Texas Hold Em (Matthew Hilger).
Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 PM

The Theory of Poker is the only must buy. The rest depends on what form of poker you want to play. I'd recommend the Supersystem II if not sure. However, if you want to play limit hold'em I'd buy Small Stakes Hold'em any day. At first I liked Internet Texas Hold'em, but I think the author does way too much calling.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 AM

He can't help it. He learned to play from the maniacs in Costa Rica.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:58 PM

i ended up picking up harrington on holdem vol one...so far, so good, and vol 2 might be coming my way soon too