Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 11:27 PM

Default ($11) AKo Facing A Big Preflop Raise On The Bubble

Sorry for the format. Converter doesn't work with full tilt
Seat 3: babsyc03 (3,310)
Seat 4: joeltebbutt (2,110)
Seat 8: MissLissy (2,125)
Seat 9: betbig_1 (5,955)
betbig_1 posts the small blind of 50
babsyc03 posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #8
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to joeltebbutt [Ac Kh]
joeltebbutt calls 100
MissLissy raises to 800
betbig_1 folds
babsyc03 folds

Ignoring that I'm a donk for limping with AK on the bubble. MissLissy has been pretty tight but we have just gone 4 handed.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:33 AM

Default Re: ($11) AKo Facing A Big Preflop Raise On The Bubble

Well I like to think that way : Let say Lissy was the one limping before you and you're with your AKo. You would probably raise big here hoping to win 2.5 big blinds right there. You might even do it with AQo, AJs.. So I don't think it's that obvious that you have the worst hand preflop.

The problem with not raising is that you don't gain as much info on your opponent's hand. I would be a little bit more concerned getting reraised with AKo than simply raised after forgetting to raise first [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I think there's two options here :

1) You might want to try some sort of stop and go. Call and go all-in regardless of the cards. Fold equity..

2) Muck preflop, remembering to play the hand better next time you get it. Sometimes when I get dealt a good hand and realize in middle of action that I didn't play it right preflop or flop and situation becomes worst, i just throw it away before it gets even worst, knowing my edge became non-existent.

In this situation, I don't like the idea of calling the raise preflop, and check/folding a flop that misses you. At this point, you will lose 800 chips out of 2100 to a hand that has good chances of being worst or even with you.

Reraising all-in preflop isn't the best move IMO because you're pretty sure to get called, unless that big reraise was a total bluff by the tight player. You have better fold equity by going all in on a flop that missed your opponent.

Just sharing basic ideas here, i'm no pro still learning the game playing 11+1 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] .

Comments welcomed...
Old 12-19-2005, 03:35 AM

Raise next time and move all-in this time.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 AM

Wow, you badly misplayed this hand. There's no excuse for:
1) Failing to open-raise.
2) Considering folding (or doing anything other than pushing) even after limping.

If I'm in a position to open, I don't think I have literally ever not raised AK. And this is the bubble...you're almost certainly ahead of this raiser's range. Push (but next time, don't get yourself in this situation).

Now, if you'd raised to say t300 and villain had pushed over the top and villain had been an extremely tight player (over some statistically signficant high-blind-bubble sample) then I'd consider folding.

But here...yeah -- well...there's always next time.

I don't know what the 11's are like at Full Tilt, but if they're anything at all like Party, don't be shocked to push and get called by KJ or 33.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:49 AM

100% agree
Old 12-19-2005, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise next time and move all-in this time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely, there are only two hands that aren't coin flips, its very likely the raiser doesn't have them as there are only three each of those pairs left. If you lose, you lose, but you'll be surprised how often you are dominating here.