Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2004, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Need quick advise about re-buys.

I like Greg's way of explaining thing. It's like he talk to a child, everything in a simple, complet exemple. lol [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Thx for that William.

BTW: If you want to post a link, just go to the target page and right clic anywhere, then clic proprieties. Copy the URL. Now creat a new post and use the "URL" button in the "Instant UBB Code" menu. 1st, it is going to ask you for the URL of the target page. Just paste what u copyed earlyer. the it ask you the name you want to give to the like. So for your post above you could have type "Link to Greg's post".

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 12:16 AM

Default DO I TAKE THE ADD-ON NOW?????

T3800, average T4375
Old 01-13-2004, 12:20 AM

Default Re: DO I TAKE THE ADD-ON NOW?????

I think the conclusion of this conversation is yes
Old 01-13-2004, 12:21 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Re: Need quick advise about re-buys.

Yes, Greg is a great poster. I try to read everything he writes. In my opinion he is the best teacher at 2+2. We should be greatfull he spends so much time giving his opinion.

Tx HJP for the explanation about the link. I have wondered for a long time [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

take care
Old 01-13-2004, 12:23 AM

I toke the add-on.

403 entrant, 568 rebuys, 271 add-ons.
Prize pool: 12,420$

or 30,82$ per player.

I put in 20$, entry plus add-on.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:24 AM

The funny part about this thread, it's that i am playing at the same rebuy tournament, and because I was writting, I forgot to add-on myself, lol
Old 01-13-2004, 12:29 AM

What's your Stars screen name William? Mine is same as here.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's your Stars screen name William? Mine is same as here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm MobyDick at Stars. hope we meet at the final table [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 01:01 AM

The trouble with Greg's reasoning, and again, I echo the sentiments that he is a great poster, is that tourney chips do not have a dollar value.

This is shown clearly by the net result of the winner, all of the chips, only 40% of the money.

It is for this reason, that if you have a very large stack, in my opinion, you are losing EV by adding on.

I agree that getting 2000 chips instead of 1500 raises the size of the stack required, but i still believe that if you have the largest stack on the table, there is very little point in adding as you are losing value on the double through.

As a rule of thumb, I am willing, although by no means convinced, to defer to William and Greg, however I'd love to see some more input on where my arguments break down, as if I am wrong, it is a serious leak.

Again to use the 10 player example.

I'll say that entry is 1500 chips and add-on is 2000.
Prizes are 50-30-20. All players are equal skill level.

We will say there are no rebuys, that's a seperate argument [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

At the start of this tourney, I have a 10% chance of each paying position, so my Average return is 10 units.(My stake back)

Now unfortunately, I don't know the equation for working out finishing positions other than first, so I'm going to make some estimates.

If I finish the non-addon-period with half the chips, I am going to win this thing say 50% of the time, come 2nd and 3rd maybe 15% each and mess it up around 20%
This gives me an estimated return of $32.5.

Remembering that simply playing another tourney with my $10 has an estimated return of $10, adding on is not likely to take my estimated return to $42.5, so the best way to spend my $10 in this format is to play another tourney.

Just some food for thought.

Lori
Old 01-13-2004, 01:36 AM

That's like living in the best of worlds, where everybody is equal and everybody does the same. But if 75% of the players add-on and you don't, they will be allowed to put pressure on your little stack and then you better hope those aces are around the corner quite often(and that you get any action, but I guess that there will allways be suckers out there to give rocks action). I am not the type that puts everything into numbers and % (not because I can't, I'm an engeneer and comfortable with numbers) it's just that there is more than that to poker and you can not predict how people are going to react. anyway it's just my opinion, and as I do very well at tournaments, I think I'll stick to it for a while. I know that at limit poker you can count on a certain amount per hour, but I don't think that's the case at NL or tournaments, too much depends on the people you play with.