Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 10:37 PM

Default Need quick advise about re-buys.

Hi all.

I'm trying my 1st online tourney whit rebuys on Stars in 45min.

Starting chips:
10$ = T1500
Rebuys:
10$ = T1500 (must be at T1500 or less)
Add on:
10$ = T2000 (must have T20,000 or less)

Q: Do you auto rebuy after 1st hand to jump to T3000??

Any other advise is welcome too

Thx

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2004, 11:16 PM

Default BUMP *NM*

Old 01-13-2004, 03:13 AM

Default Re: Need quick advise about re-buys.

A little more info is needed, but the short answer is that I usually will.

If the tourney is no-limit then I will do the maximum rebuys right at the start, because I want to be able to get the most from my premium hands, and it will keep some players from bluffing into me so much.

If the tourney is limit structure, then I will rebuy anytime my chip count is lower than, say, 8 Big Bets. (All of this is assuming equal number of Tchips/dollar as the buy in).

Unless I have significantly above average chips at the first break, I will always add on. Especially since the add on chips tend to be cheaper than the buy in or rebuys.

I know this is too late for your tourney now, but I hope this helps for next time. There is a section concerning this very topic in Sklansky's "Tournament Poker for Advanced Players." I don't know where you are in your poker game, but if this is your first tourney then you are probably not ready for most of the information in that book (but it certainly wouldn't hurt to read it, though). You really ought to understand all the concepts in "Hold 'Em Poker for Advanced Players" before you delve too heavily into TPFAP.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:37 AM

I do have TPFAP and have a couple nice score under my belt in NL tourney.

Just that after 2 years of online tourney , it was my very 1st tourney whit rebuys. Stars just added them and I did'nt know how to approch it. (I have never played a live tourney in a casion as poker is illegal here in Québec)

-Happy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2004, 08:20 AM

JayPee,

I normally take the rebuy before the first hand is dealt, rebuy whenever my chips reach 1500 or less (unless I am losing the will to play!) and take the add-on.

You can often double through some of the crazies very early on, and often these crazies will have amassed a few chips by their gambling play. It's therefore much better if you have 3000 to start with!

Guy.
Old 01-13-2004, 11:36 AM

Generally a good idea to top off the ol' stack as soon as possible. However, I ran into one of the exceptions to the rule last night in a pokerstars $3 rebuy satellite. Nobody at the table took the rebuy before/after their first hand! Since everybody had essentially the same stack size for the first few orbits, I saw no need to inflate my stack to T3k.
Once an opponent hit the T2k mark, I got the rebuy.

My timing was good, because a few hands later I picked up AA against him [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] and nearly doubled through.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:59 PM

You should still top off immediately.

What if you had won a small pot, and had T1550? Now this guy gets up to T2000, and you no longer qualify for the rebuy that would allow you to cover him.

If you're an above average player, and the rebuy gives you chips at an average price or better, you should take every rebuy for which you qualify.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)