Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 04:51 PM

Default StoneColdNuts Tourney at Ultimate Bet

I was a part of the big Million dollar+ tourney yesterday at Ultimate Bet. There were 701 players registered, with the top 100 spots paying out. First place took home 330,000, and 100th paid 1400. Unfortunately, i finished 279th, which isn't too bad, but obviously, no money. I just wanted to talk about the hand that knocked me out, and see what everyone's opinion was about what happened. I was in 240th place at the time with 1800 chips, and blinds were 100-200. I wasn't in great shape, obviously, but still alive. I was in first position with pocket aces. I pondered raising one bet to 400, but thought i might just steal the blinds, and I needed to get a good pot with these aces. So, I just called the big blind. I was hoping someone would raise me, and I could quickly reraise or go heads up with my aces. The rest of the table folded, though, except for the blinds, who both played. The flop came K 3 7, all spades, and I did not have the ace of spades. Oh, great, I thought. The small blind checked, big blind bet 600, and I had to move my remaining 1600 chips in. He called. He didn't have the spades, though, but a K 3 offsuit, for 2 pair, against my aces. I didn't catch another ace and lost right there. I guess that is an example of the risks of slow playing aces (or any other big hand), but if I had raised one bet preflop and just collect the blinds, I am kicking myself for not getting a big pot. Oh well, just another bad beat, I guess. Unfortunately, it came at the worst time. Any replys, please feel free.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: StoneColdNuts Tourney at Ultimate Bet

Raise to 600 hundred pre-flop and pray for a re-raise, but don't be dissapointed if you win 300 when you steal the blinds. Slowplaying at this point of the tourney is suicide, as you found out.

Peace

Goodie
Old 01-13-2004, 01:58 PM

Thanks for your response. I realize now, that was the only way to win that hand. But, at the time, just winning the blinds with aces would have done nothing for me, and I would have had to hope to pick up another big hand very soon, or be knocked out by the blinds. I will sure be reluctant to slow play them next time!
Old 01-13-2004, 02:51 PM

At the time, just winning the blinds with aces would have payed for your blinds and kept you in the tourney. Your stack would have been 2100, which by my calculations lasts you seven rounds at the current blind level and leaves you plenty of room to make a semi-meaniful re-raise and certainly meanifull initial raise. What flop were you hoping for that you would be able to win a big pot that you would still be ahead. This is a big money tourney and I'm sure people weren't willing to put thier whole stack in against an utg caller without hitting a big flop.

Take the pot now and be done with it.

Peace

Goodie
Old 01-13-2004, 03:04 PM

Aces are only a monster pre-flop, after the flop they are usually just an over pair, meaning the only playable hand you beat is top pair.

Most people aren't going to want to bet a lot of their chips, esp that late in a tournament without beating top pair... so by slow playing your aces to make the pot bigger, you are actually making the pot smaller, because no one will play with you after the flop unless they have you beat.

People will often be willing to re-raise all-in to a big bet, or at least call the big bet preflop with any pocket pair, AK or AQs and you are a huge favorite (obv) to all of these.

Raise fairly big with aces, try to act like you have AK and want to buy the blinds, often that's all you'll get (risk free) but occasinally, if someone else picked up a hand, you'll completely take out another.

That late in a tournament you can't risk the blinds free-rolling a flop on you, esp. when you are short stacked and they can push you all-in w/o much of a threat to their own stack.