Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: $22: push any two from SB here?

Get some new presets.

Also make sure 'equity modeling' is off or whatever. Then ask eastbay if your SNGPT isn't working or how you can fix how you use it.

Yugoslav
Old 12-28-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP,

Wow, you're surely abusing SNGPT b/c there's no way it indicates a push any two here.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you run the numbers?

[/ QUOTE ]

For this exact situation? Nope....I'm at work anyway right now and can't unless I wanna do it old school non-SNGPT style, which I surely don't.

I checked with my magic forumbot 8 ball and it says 'FOLD, MOERON'.....so, that's good enuf for me.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

Your 8-ball called you a moron and couldn't even spell it right? Oh, the irony!

I hear you, seems like an easy fold to me too, which is why I was surprised by the SNGPT results.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IT'S SIX HANDED!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, good point... For some reason I was looking at this with my mind attuned to the bubble. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get some new presets.

Also make sure 'equity modeling' is off or whatever. Then ask eastbay if your SNGPT isn't working or how you can fix how you use it.

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

What calling range do you assign to villain in this specific hand? No reads.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. The fact you think pushing at the $22s is better than pushing at the $55s is worrisome.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the reasons the $22's are so easy to beat is the sub-optimal bubble play. This typically means getting too tight, not too loose at the bubble. (Bad players are loose early and tight late, the opposite of proper strategy.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing a crucial point here, which is that the bad players' ranges don't change very much as we approach the bubble. That's why we say they're "too loose early and too tight late."

A good player will look at the situation and try to determine how loose or tight he needs to be. A bad player just has his preset call ranges, not taking into account the situation.

When kyro says that pushing is bad at the 22s, it applies mostly to when blinds are worth picking up, but you still have a relatively nice stack >8BB, and certainly when you're sitting rather pretty at 12BB as in this case. When your opponent will call you with [censored] like QJ, he's being too loose, and that ends up hurting you because your hand has little intrinsic value. When blinds are bigger, like 100/200, his unmodified call range is too tight and now a push is enormously +EV for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Get some new presets.

[/ QUOTE ]

My SNGPT says push is +EV unless you assign BB the maniac range. My "equity modeling" is turned off.

I still agree six-handed makes this a fold for reasons explained by Zero but OP is correct regarding SNGPT output.

[ QUOTE ]
Look at it this way:

You have around $15 EV in this tourney right now. Pushing is probably worth about 15 cents right now.

If you make it to the bubble you may have $25-$30 EV in the tourney. You may have several opportunities to push worth 30 cents or more each. However, these opportunities only arise when you can put your opponents on an accurate hand range.(preferably as tight as possible)

The more confidence you have in their calling ranges the more profitable spots you are going to find.

Can you see how raising here damages you by hurting your ability to put your opponents on accurate ranges and make better decisions in the future?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I don't know how much image matters at the $22s, I just don't have enough experience. But I know that even the biggest of donks notices when you push 10xBB from the SB into his BB. Could induce a call later when you don't really want it.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When kyro says that pushing is bad at the 22s, it applies mostly to when blinds are worth picking up, but you still have a relatively nice stack >8BB, and certainly when you're sitting rather pretty at 12BB as in this case. When your opponent will call you with [censored] like QJ, he's being too loose, and that ends up hurting you because your hand has little intrinsic value. When blinds are bigger, like 100/200, his unmodified call range is too tight and now a push is enormously +EV for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you. I was evaluating this as a bubble play, not six-handed. Pin the tail on the donkey... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]